Traditional American Eggnog Ingredients
1 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup sherry wine
- 1/2 cup Jamaican rum
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 12 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, for serving
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ground nutmeg, for garnish
How to make Traditional American Eggnog
- Pour the brandy, sherry, rum, and whiskey into a bowl.
- Place the egg yolks and egg whites into two separate, large mixing bowls. Set the
egg whites aside. Beat the egg yolks until light and frothy. Gradually beat in the
sugar until the egg mixture is light colored. Slowly beat in the liquor mixture. With
the mixer still running, pour in the milk and heavy cream until thoroughly blended.
- Using a clean beater, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold the
egg whites into the milk mixture. Pour into two clean, gallon-size plastic milk
containers. Refrigerate at least 5 days, or 10 days for an even smoother taste. Shake the container occasionally to keep the alcohol from separating.
- To serve, pour the eggnog into a punch bowl. Whisk to blend milk mixture, add the quart of vanilla ice cream, and garnish with nutmeg.
Traditional American Eggnog is ready to serve.
Prep Time:30 Min
Cook Time:30 Min
Ready In:5 Days 1 Hr