Lemon Bar Trifle ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, melted
- ½ cups Domino® or C&H® Granulated Pure Cane Sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups cold water
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- ? cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
CREAM CHEESE LAYER
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups Domino® or C&H® Pure Cane Powdered Sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
How to make Lemon Bar Trifle
- In a small bowl, combine flour and pecans; stir in butter. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and flour. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the lemon juice, butter and lemon peel.
- Transfer to a bowl. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Cover surface with waxed paper; refrigerate until chilled.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Crumble the baked pecan mixture; set aside ½ cup for topping.
- Just before serving, in a 3-qt. trifle bowl, layer 1 cup each pecan mixture, lemon mixture and cream cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with reserved pecan mixture. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Lemon Bar Trifle is ready to serve.
yields: 9 servings