Recipes for dal
Drumstick Leaves Dal Ingredients
40 gms toovar (arhar) dal
- 20 gms drumstick leaves
- chilli powder to taste
- salt to taste
- a pinch of cumin seeds (jeera)
- a pinch of mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 2 cloves of garlic (lehsun)
- 1 tsp palm oil
How to make Drumstick Leaves Dal
- Boil dal till coked but not to a paste.
- Steam drumstick leaves in a wlander.
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add mustard seeds,after they splutter, add cumin seeds and then add crushed garlic.
- Add steamed leaves and dal and fry till curry is dry.serve with chapatis or roti.
Drumstick Leaves Dal is ready to serve.
Fish with Moong Dal Ingredients :
1 cup moong dal
- 2 fish heads
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 tomato, chopped finely
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 green chillies, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cummin seeds powder
- 1 tsp coriander seeds powder
- 3 dry red chillies
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cardamoms
- 1/4″ cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 3 black pepper
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- A pinch of hing
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for frying
How to make Fish with Moong Dal
- Wash the dal and soak for half an hour.
- Pressure cook the dal with ½ tsp turmeric powder.
- Clean the fish heads and make into big pieces.
- Marinate the heads with ½ turmeric powder, salt and lemon juice. Keep aside for 45 mins.
- Heat oil for frying. Deep fry the fish heads till golden brown.
- Drain and keep aside. Remove the oil from pan keeping only approx 3 tbsp of it.
- Add hing, bay leaves, cloves, cardamoms, red chillies, and black pepper.
- Add onion and fry till transparent. Add ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Simmer for 2 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cummin powder, coriander powder. Add fish heads and simmer till they crumble.
- Add dal and 1 cup water. Let it boil till the required consistency of curry.
- Sprinkle garam masala. Serve hot with rice.
- Fish with Moong Dal is ready to serve.
Dal Roti Ingredients
Dal – cooked and mashed – 1 cup
- Wheat flour/ Atta – 2 cups
- Jeera powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp (optional)
- Methi powder – 1 tsp (optional)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
How to make Dal Roti
- Knead the atta along with all the ingredients, cover and keep aside for 30 minutes
Heat the griddle and start rolling out small round portions of the dough with a rolling pin
If you wish to add oil, as you would while making parathas, feel free to do so
Make the rotis on the griddle, and again add 1/4 tsp oil, if you wish to
- Serve hot with Yam Masala or any other vegetable side dish.
- Dal Roti is ready to serve.
Daal Gosht Ingredients:
1 Cup masoor daal
- 1 kg Meat boneless and cubed
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 Onions sliced
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 2 tbsp Garlic paste
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Coriander leaves to garnish
How to make Daal Gosht:
- Boil the daal, meat with salt and 2 tbsp of oil in a pressure cooker till the daal is soft.
- In another pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil and fry the onions till golden brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, red chili and garam masala powder and fry till the oil separates from the masala.
- Add the daal-meat mixture to this masala and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take off from the fire, add lime juice, stir well and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Daal Gosht is ready to serve.
Daal Chawal Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 c Rice
- 1 c Toor dal
- 2 Whole red chillies
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3 Cloves and peppercorns
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 ts Turmeric
- 2 Onions sliced lengthwise
- 3 tb Ghee
- 1 tb Chopped coriander
- 1 ts Cumin and mustard seeds
- 6 c Water; (6 to 7)
How to make Daal Chawal:
Wash dal and rice separately. Soak in salty water for half an hour. Heat ghee in large saucepan fry the onion till crisp and brown. Remove. In same ghee, add seeds, leaves, chilli, pepper and cloves. Add the soaking water of dal and rice. Allow to come to boil. Add dal and allow to boil for 5 min. Add rice, turmeric, salt and cook in high for 10-12 mins. Put on simmer and cook till the rice is done and water has evaporated. Garnish with fried onions and chopped coriander. Converted by MC_Buster. Converted by MM_Buster v2.0l.
Moong Dal With Palak Ingredients:
- 1 cup split Green Gram Lentil (Moong Dal)
- 3 cup chopped Spinach (Palak)
- a pinch of Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder (Lal Mirchi)
- 1 tsp Asafetida (Hing)
- 2 tblsp Butter
- 1 tsp chopped Garlic (Lasun)
- 1 tsp chopped Ginger (Adrak)
- a pinch of Sodium bi carbonate
- 1 tblsp fresh Cream
How to make moong dal with palak:
- Wash and soak the gram for 30 minutes.
- Boil some water in a pan.
- Add the spinach leaves and the sodium bi carbonate and cook the leaves for a minute over a high flame till the leaves are cooked.
- Drain the leaves and when cool grind in a blender. remove and keep aside.
- Cook the dal ,turmeric powder, chilly powder and the salt in a pressure cooker.
- When the dal is cooked remove from the flame and keep aside.( make sure the dal is dissolved in the water, if the water was not sufficient add some more water and cook the dal again in a pan . use a wooden spoon to mash the dal).
- Transfer the dal to a pan and add the spinach paste. mix thoroughly.
- Cook over a low flame for 2 minutes.remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan . Add the garlic and fry for till the garlic turns light brown in color.
- Add the ginger and the asafoetida and fry for a few seconds over a low flame.
- Add the dal and mix thoroughly. remove from the flame and serve hot garnished with cream.
Moong Dal Kachori Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 3 tbsp. oil
- salt to taste
- cold water to knead dough
- For filling:
- 1 cup yellow moong dal washed and soaked for 1/2 hour
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp. dhania (coriander) powder
- 1/2 tsp. coriander seeds crushed coarsely
- 1/2 tsp. fennel (saunf) seeds crushed coarsely
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp. coriander leaves finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 2-3 pinches asafoetida
- 1 tbsp. oil
- oil to deep fry
- 1 tbsp. plain flour for patching
How to make Moong Dal Kachori:
- Mix flour, salt and oil, knead into soft pliable dough.
- Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- For filling:
- Put plenty of water to boil. Add dal.
- Boil dal for 5 minutes, drain.
- Cool a little. Heat oil in a heavy pan.
- Add all seeds whole and crushed allow to splutter.
- Add asafoetida, mix. Add all other ingredients.
- Mix well. Do not smash the dal fully.
- But enough to make the mixture hold well.
- Remove from fire, cool.
- Divide into 15 portions.
- Shape into balls with greased palms.
- Keep aside.
- To proceed:
- Make a paste with water, of flour for patching.
- Keep aside.
- Take a pingpong ball sized portion of dough.
- Knead into round. Roll into 4″ diam. round.
- Place one ball of filling at centre.
- Pick up round and wrap ball into it like a pouch.
- Break off excess dough carefully.
- Do not allow cover to tear.
- Press the ball with palm, making it flattish and round.
- Repeat for 4-5 kachories.
- Deep fry in hot oil, on low flame only.
- If the kachori get a hole anywhere, apply some paste.
- Return to oil and finish frying.
- Turn and repeat for other side.
- Fry till golden and crisp. Small bubbles must appear over kachori.
- Drain and serve hot with green and tamarind chutneys.
Dal kofta curry Ingredients:
For the koftas:
- 2 medium zucchinis, grated
- 2 shallots, finely minced
- 2-3 small Thai green chilies, finely minced (to taste)
- ½ cup of cilantro leaves finely chopped
- ½ inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder (to taste)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup moong dal flour (or you can use chickpea flour/gram flour/besan)
- ½ cup rice flour
- oil for frying, canola or vegetable
For the curry:
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- salt & pepper, to taste
- juice of ½ lemon or lime
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup of cream (or ½ cup good quality yogurt)
- 2 tbsp of oil, canola or vegetable
- finely chopped cilantro leaves for garnish
How to make Dal kofta curry:
To make the Koftas:
- Sprinkle the grated zucchini with a little salt, mix well and allow to drain in a colander atop another larger bowl for at least 30 minutes. Using a tea towel, gently squeeze out any excess liquid. Reserve the drained liquid. Finely mince the grated zucchini and set aside until needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the moong dal flour with the rice flour and add the spices (turmeric, ground cumin powder, ground coriander powder, red chili powder, salt and pepper). Mix well and add the zucchini, ginger, green chilies, shallots and cilantro leaves. In small increments, add enough water to form a thick batter.
- In a large deep skillet or work on medium high heat, add enough oil to shallow fry. When hot, carefully add large tablespoonfuls of the batter. This may be done in batches but gently fry the koftas on all sides until they are golden brown. Drain well and set aside.
- At this point, they can be served as appetizers with your favorite chutneys or sauces. Also, once they have cooled, you can freeze any extra koftas in an airtight plastic freezer bag or container.
To make the Curry:
In a large deep skillet on medium high heat, add the oil and when hot add the onions. Let fry for a few minutes until just lightly browned and then add the garlic. Stir fry and add the spices (ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, garam masala, salt and pepper). Let the spices cook for a few minutes and then add the tomatoes and the tomato paste. Next, add the lemon/lime juice and the reserved zucchini liquid. There should be enough liquid (about 1.5 cups, add water if needed). Cover, reduce the heat and let simmer 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat, let cool slightly (10-15 minutes) and stir in the cream or yogurt. Carefully add the koftas and gently reheat on low. Let the koftas soak in the curry for 8-10 minutes before serving. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with fresh rotis and fragrant Basmati rice.
Masoor ki Daal ki Biryani Ingredients:
- 1-1/2 kg Chicken (14 psc)
- 1 kg Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Black lentils whole
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 cup Oil
- 1 bunch Mint
- 4 Green Cardamom
- 4 Onion sliced
- 6 Lemon
- 8 Green Chili
- 6-8 cloves Black pepper whole
- 1 tsp Black Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Butter
- 1 tbsp White vinegar
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- Salt to taste
How to make Masoor ki Daal ki Biryani:
- Wash 1 cup of black lentils and boil and strain it. In ½-1 kg of chicken add 1 cup of yogurt, 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste, 4 lemons, 1 bunch of mint, 8 green chilies, 4 green cardamoms and salt to taste and boil without water. When the water of the chicken gets dry dish it out.
- Heat the oil and fry 4 onion sliced till it gets golden brown. Spread the onion the newspaper to get its oil dry and put on the boiled chicken. Boil 1 kg basmati rice add while boiling few mints, 1 tsp of black cumin seeds, green chili, salt, white vinegar and small cardamom.
- In the pan of rice put the oil on the base of it and then put one layer of rice and another layer of lentils. After that put another layer of chicken and sprinkle few crushed onions.
- Put the layer again as before. On the put rice, then fried onions, ghee and 2 lemon juice and put the pan on high flame. After 10 minutes the flame. Now serve the biryani with yogurt.
Dal Puri Ingredients:
- 1 cup Wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Black Gram Dal (urad dal)
- 2 Red Chilies
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Cardamoms
- 2 Cloves
- 1/2″ piece Cinnamon
- 1/5 cup Water
- Oil to fry
- Salt To taste
How to make Dal Puri:
- Rub 1 tsp oil into the wheat flour
- Add 1/2 tsp salt to the wheat flour
- Make soft dough using small amounts of water
- Set aside the dough for 25 minutes, covered with a wet cloth
- Soak black gram dal for atleast one hour and grind to make a paste
- Add very little water if required to make a paste
- Grind together red chilies, cumin seeds, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a fry pan
- Add the dal paste and the mixed masalas, stirring constantly till the dal is fried and the water is absorbed leaving it dry
- Knead and divide the dough into 10 small balls
- Make a cup with each ball and fill with the prepared dal mixture
- Seal by extending the dough over the filling
- Flatten and roll it as a roti, approx. 3″ in diameter
- Deep fry in hot oil till golden brown
- Drain and serve hot