Recipes for Dahi Baray
Hyderabadi Dahi Baray Ingredients:
- 2 cups of White Lentils (Urad Dal) (skinned and split) (pre-soaked)
- A pinch of Baking Soda
- ½ tsp. Salt
- A pinch of Asafoetida (Heeng)
- 1 tsp. of Red Chilli Powder (Pisi Lal Mirch)
- ½ tsp. Cumin Powder (Pisa Zeera)
- Plain Yogurt
- Cooking Oil (for deep frying)
- Chaat Masala (for garnish)
- Imli Chutney (for garnish)
How to make Hyderabadi Dahi Baray:
- Wash the lentils well in warm water. In a grinder, grind the lentils into a paste then add the rest of the spices. Mix well and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Put cooking oil in a deep frying pan or karahi on high heat. Once the oil gets hot, turn the heat to medium and drop a tablespoon of mixture at a time in the oil and fry until golden brown. Then remove from oil and put the baray on a paper towel to absorb any extra oil.
- In a separate dish, beat the plain yogurt by adding a little water to form a paste. Add salt, red chilli powder and cumin powder. And whip well.
- Then take cold water in a separate bowl and put the baray in the water for a minute or so or until they are soft. Then squeeze the baray with your palms to drain out the water and add them to the prepared yogurt mix. Repeat this process until all baray mix is gone.
- Garnish with chaat masala and Imli Chutney . (Refrigerate until cold for better taste.)
Dahi Baray Ingredients
- 250 g. dhuli mash dal (white), washed and soaked overnight.
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon. salt
- 600 milliliter natural yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon. red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon. garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon. salt
- 1 clove garlic crushed
How to make Dal Mash Dahi Baray
- Wash soaked dal with few changes of water. Place dal, baking powder and salt in a food processor or blender and grind to a smooth thick paste. Add a little water at a time if it is difficult to grind, continue grinding, this will incorporate air and make the paste lighter in texture. Leave it to rest for 15 -20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or karahi. Test the temperature by dropping a small piece of paste into the hot oil. It should rise to the top at once.
- Drop carefully a tablespoon full of paste into the hot fat. Fry to a golden colour, turning once or twice. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and place on absorbent kitchen paper. Fry 4-5 baray at a time.
- Ten minutes before serving soak the dumplings in warm water. Press the dumplings between the palms carefully to squeeze out the water.
- Whisk yogurt with 1/4 cup water, chili powder, salt, garam masala and garlic to make a smooth paste.
- Arrange the dumplings in a serving dish. Pour the seasoned yogurt over it.
- Garnish with Chat Masala and Sweet Imli Chutney.
- 2 cups besan
- 2 pinches of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a pinch of asafetida
- Oil for deep frying
- 300gm Yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp red chili powder
- 4 tbsp tamarind chutney
- Add spices to besan and make a paste using 1¼ cup of water.
- Mix well and leave for 30 minutes.
- Then in a frying pan add oil and with the help of a spoon, drop the spoon full of paste into the pan and deep fry till light brown.
- When serving, soak in a bowl of water and when a little soft squeeze out the water between palms and add to prepared yogurt.
- Beat the yogurt adding a little water to a paste.
- Add salt, red chili powder and cumin powder.
- Add 1 tsp sugar and mix well.
- Garnish with sweet Imli Chutney and Chaat Masala.
- Dahi Baray is ready to serve.