Recipes for curry
Kalonji Chicken Curry Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 tablespoons kalonji
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 6 plum tomatoes, cut up and pureed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
How to make Kalonji Chicken Curry:
- Heat oil in a wok or large deep skillet over medium heat. Add kalonji seeds and when they begin to sizzle add cumin seeds and allow both to sizzle for 45 seconds. (Don’t let the cumin burn.).
- Reduce heat and add onions. Saute for 10 minutes or until golden. Add garlic. Cook until garlic is golden, then add ginger, tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir well. Add salt, turmeric, cayenne and garam masala. Cook until oil separates from sauce, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and cook, uncovered, on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the chicken or the sauce is burning, add 1/2 cup/125mL water. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Stir in cilantro.
Jeera Aloo Ingredients:
- 3 Potatotes (boiled, peeled and chopped)
- 2 Green Chillies (finely chopped )
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Oil
How to make Jeera Aloo:
- Heat oil and saute cumin seeds.
- Now add chopped potatoes and chillies to it.
- Stir and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, salt and coriander. Mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Crispy Jeera Aloo is ready to serve.
Bhindi Masala Gravy Ingredients:
- 1/2 kg – Bhindi
- 1 – onion, medium
- 1 – tomato, medium
- Chilly powder as per taste
- 1/4 cup – coconut
- 2 tsp – cumin
- 2 tsp – saunf
- 4 tsp – Coriander powder
- 2 tsp – Fried gram
- Oil for shallow frying
- Salt to taste
How to make Bhindi Masala Gravy:
- In a kadai shallow frying Bhindis and keep aside
- In the same oil, temper Sanuf and saute onions till pinkish color and then add tomatos
- Meanwhile, grind cocount, jeera, and fried gram and make it thick paste.
- As the onions and tomatos well cooked add chilly and coriander power and mix well.
- Now add the grinded paste and salt with half cup of water and mix it well.
- At last add the fried bhindis to the gravy with some fresh coriander leaves. allow it to cook for 2 mins .
- Serve it hot with Chappaties.
Spicy Okra Curry Ingredients:
- 2 pounds okra( cleaned and dried )
- 1 big red onion
- 1 big tomato( seeded )
- 2 tbsp thick yogurt
- 1 tsp turmeric( optional )
- 1 tsp jeera powder( cumin powder )
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder or 4 chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp ginger chopped
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
How to make Spicy Okra Curry:
- Cut okra in 1/2 inch pieces.
- Chop onions into 1/2 inch pieces
- Chop tomotoes( remove the seeds and juice )
- Heat oil in kadai or wok and add onions, ginger, garlic and okra
- After 5-10 min add thick yogurt so that okra doesnt become mushy
- When okra starts to turn into golden brown add the powders and let them coat all the pieces in the curry
- Add tomatoes and cook the curry for a little while till the all the moisture id gone
- Add salt at the end and decorate curry with chopped coriander and mint leaves
Aloo Kofta Curry Ingredients:
- Boiled potatoes 4
- Bread slices 2
- Oinion 1
- Coriander leaves few
- Mint leaves few
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- Coriander seed powder ¼ tsp
- Cumin powder ¼ tsp
- Oil to fry
How to make Aloo Kofta Curry:
- Peal the skin of potatoes and smash it.
- Dip the bread slices in water in few seconds and squeeze it thoroughly.
- Mix both smashed potatoes and bread along with all powders and salt.
- Make a small balls out of it. Deep fry in the oil.
- Keep the koftas aside.
Fish Karahi Ingredients:
- 2lb fish (e.g Cod, Coley, Haddock) de-scaled or de-skinned cut into 3 inch pieces
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbs fresh or bottled lemon juice
- 2 tbs crushed dry coriander
- 2 tbs crushed dry cumin
- 1 tbs red chillie powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- oil for shallow frying
How to make Fish Karahi:
- Wash fish pieces, pat dry. Add all other ingredients except the oil into a bowl mix well and apply to fish. Marinate covered in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
- Line a non-stick frying with oil, heat to medium, add a few pieces of fish at a time, cook for 3 – 4 mins, turn over once with a fork, cook other side, remove and arrange singly in a flat platter (try not to pile up).
Fish Balti Ingredients:
- 800 g white fish fillets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 medium white onions, sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 red Thai chile, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (400 g) cans whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, loosely packed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
How to make Fish Balti:
- Cut fish into 2cm pieces.
- Heat oil in wok or pan, cook onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and spices until onion softens.
- Add undrained crushed tomatoes to onion mixture, season to taste and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered about 10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Add fish and coconut cream, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered about 10 minutes or until fish is cooked through.
- Just before serving, stir in coriander and mint.8Serve with rice.
Chicken Peanut Curry Sauce Ingredients:
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken pieces (or you can use bone-in for added flavor), cut into 1 1/2 inch wide chunks or strips
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 Tbsp curry powder
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground peppercorns
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 serrano chili peppers, seeded, de-veined, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (if using freshly ground peanuts, add 2 teaspoons of sugar)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 8 green onions, chopped, greens included
- 1/3 cup each finely chopped mint and cilantro
- 2 limes cut into wedges
How to make Chicken Peanut Curry Sauce:
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. In a small sturdy paper bag, combine the flour, curry powder, salt and pepper. Shake well. Add the chicken pieces and shake to coat well.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium high heat. Add chicken pieces. Cook 5-10 minutes (depending on size of chicken pieces) tossing occasionally to cook chicken evenly. Add the ginger, garlic, chili pepper and 1/2 cup of the chicken broth to the saucepan. Cook for 3 minutes, scraping the pan with a spatula and stirring to combine everything well.
- Add the peanut butter, stirring quickly to incorporate it with the chicken. Add the remaining 3 1/2 cups of broth slowly, stirring continuously to maintain an even texture. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Right before serving, add the coriander and green onions. Salt to taste.
- Serve with rice. Top each serving with fresh cilantro and mint. Squeeze a little lime juice over it as well.
Pumpkin curry with chickpeas Ingredients:
- 1 tbs peanut oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 tbs curry paste
- 1 kg pumpkin, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 420g can chickpeas, drained
- 140ml can coconut milk
- 2 tbs chopped fresh coriander
How to make Pumpkin curry with chickpeas:
- Heat oil in large saucepan, cook onion, stirring about 3 minutes until soft. Add curry paste cook, stirring about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add pumpkin, stir to coat in curry mixture. Stir in water, bring to a boil, simmer, covered about 10 minutes or until pumpkin is soft. Gently stir in chickpeas and coconut milk, cook, 2 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with coriander. Serve with cheese naan and cucumber raita, if desired.
Mushroom Potato Curry Ingredients:
- Mushroom – 6
- Potato – 3 medium size
- Curry leaves – 2 stems
- Tomato – 2
- Onion – 2 big
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- Chily powder – 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Jeera powder – 1.5 tsp
- Coconut – Handful
- Green chilly – 4 or 5
How to make Mushroom Potato Curry:
- Cook the potatoes in the cooker till soft. Cut mushrooms in small size.
- Heat oil in a big pan. When it is hot, add mustard. When it bursts, add chopped onion, tomato, curry leaves. Stir till it is soft. Add all the masala powders. Stir till the raw smell goes. Add the mashed potatoes to the pan and also the mushrooms. Stir well. Add enough salt and water.
- Grind the coconut and green chilly. When the curry is hot, add this mixture to the curry. Stir well. Cover the pan and wait till it boils and is cooked.
- Decorate with mint leaves or coriander leaves.