Recipes for crackers
Cheddar Pennies Ingredients
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
How to make Cheddar Pennies
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a large cookie sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir in the Cheddar cheese and melted butter to form a firm dough. Roll pieces of dough into ropes as big around as a penny. Slice into 1/4 inch slices. If dough is too soft, it can be chilled until firm. Place slices onto the prepared cookie sheet so they are 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bottoms of the pennies are lightly toasted and the tops are firm. Allow to cool completely before serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Cheddar Pennies is ready to serve.
Prep Time:20 Min
Cook Time:25 Min
Ready In:45 Min
Swedish Hardtack Ingredients
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
How to make Swedish Hardtack
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Rub in the shortening until the mixture appears sandy. Stir in the buttermilk until the dough holds together. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thick. Cut into 4-inch squares, then cut each square diagonally into triangles, and prick with a fork.
- Bake the triangles in preheated oven on ungreased cookie sheets until dry and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Swedish Hardtack is ready to serve.
Prep Time:30 Min
Cook Time:30 Min
Ready In:1 Hr
Cheesy Sun Crisps Ingredients
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup salted sunflower kernels
How to make Cheesy Sun Crisps
- In a mixing bowl, combine Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, butter and water until well mixed. Combine flour and salt; add to cheese mixture. Stir in oats and sunflower seeds. Knead dough until it holds together. Shape into a 12-in. roll. Cover with plastic wrap; chill for 4 hours or overnight. Allow to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting into 1/8-in. slices. Place on greased foil-lined baking sheets. Bake at 400 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Slide crackers and foil off baking sheets to wire racks to cool.
- Cheesy Sun Crisps is ready to serve.
Prep Time:10 Min
Cook Time:10 Min
Ready In:20 Min
Oatmeal Crackers Ingredients
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
How to make Oatmeal Crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Place the rolled oats into a blender or the work bowl of a food processor, and pulse several times to grind them into coarse flour. Stir the oat flour together with whole wheat flour, salt, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Pour in the water and olive oil, and mix to form a soft dough. Place the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, and roll out 1/8-inch thick. Using a knife, partially slice through the dough in desired shapes.
- Bake in the preheated oven until just barely brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Watch carefully, as they burn easily. Allow to cool completely on baking sheet before breaking along score lines into individual crackers.
- Oatmeal Crackers is ready to serve.
Prep Time:10 Min
Cook Time:10 Min
Ready In:40 Min
Blue Cheese and Walnut Wafers Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
How to make Blue Cheese and Walnut Wafers
- Mix the butter, blue cheese, flour, and salt in a food processor, and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, and stir in the walnuts. Cover, and chill 5 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Divide dough in half. Form each half into a log shape. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour, until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Slice the dough logs into 1/4 inch rounds, and arrange rounds on a baking sheet.
- Bake 12 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Blue Cheese and Walnut Wafers is ready to serve.
Prep Time:15 Min
Cook Time:12 Min
Ready In:1 Hr 32 Min
Homemade Graham Crackers Ingredients
12 marshmallows, recipe follows or store bought
- 8 graham cracker squares, recipe follows
- 2 milk chocolate bars, the kind that can be broken into squares
- 4 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 12 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
How to make Homemade Graham Crackers
- Marshmallows: Combine the water, the corn syrup, and the sugar in a saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer. Bring to a boil and boil to “soft-ball” stage, or about 235 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Sprinkle the gelatin over the 2 tablespoons cold water and let dissolve. When the syrup reaches 235 degrees F, remove it from the heat, add the gelatin, and mix. Pour the syrup into the whipped egg whites. Add the vanilla and continue whipping until stiff and mostly cooled. Transfer to a pastry bag with a large plain tip.
- If you’re not making the s’mores right away, just pipe the marshmallow directly onto powdered sugar covered cookie sheets and let set until ready to use, at least 1 hour or overnight. If you’re serving them right away, lay half of the graham crackers on a cookie sheet. Top with chocolate pieces to cover, then pipe “kisses” of marshmallow to cover the chocolate. (If using store-bought marshmallows, place 3 marshmallows on top of the chocolate layer. Leftover homemade marshmallows should be stored in airtight containers.) Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake until the marshmallow is puffed and golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the remaining graham crackers, pressing down slightly to make a sandwich. Serve immediately, while still warm.
- Homemade Graham Crackers is ready to serve.
Prep 1 hr 0 min
Inactive Prep 1 min
Cook 20 min
Total:1 hr 21 min
Cracker Thin Crust Pizza Ingredients
10 oz unbleached all-purpose flour (about 2 cups), preferably Gold Medal, protein content no higher than 10.5 percent
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast (1 1/4 tsp if you do not want to do an overnight rise)
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 6.2 ounces water (about 3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons), preferably filtered or spring, 100 to 105 degrees
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce (see recipe below)
- 8 ounces whole milk mozzarella (about 2 cups), shredded
Quick Tomato Sauce
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 large clove garlic , minced, or pressed through garlic press
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
How to make Cracker Thin Crust Pizza
- Combine flour, yeast, honey, and salt in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade. (You can also mix with a mixer or by hand, I used a mixer and it was fine, just make sure you reserve some of the water as directed.) With machine running, add all but 2 tablespoons water through feed tube. With machine still running, add olive oil through feed tube and process until dough forms a ball, about 30 seconds. Turn dough out onto work surface.
- A freshly processed
- Cracker Thin Crust Pizza is ready to serve.
Norwegian Flat Bread Ingredients
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
How to make Norwegian Flat Bread
- In a large bowl combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oil, baking soda, and salt. Add enough buttermilk to make a stiff dough.
- Knead dough for 30 seconds on a well-floured surface.
- Cover dough to prevent drying. Roll 1/4 cup handfuls of dough into balls and pat into a flat circle. Using a rolling pin, flatten dough into 10 inch circles. Place onto ungreased cookie sheet. Score pieces into pie shapes by running a knife along but not through dough. Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack briefly before breaking along scored lines.
- Norwegian Flat Bread is ready to serve.
Cheddar Crackers Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 cup butter, chilled
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons cold water, or as needed
How to make Cheddar Crackers
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, salt, white pepper and mustard. Cut in butter with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in Cheddar cheese. Stir in water one tablespoon at a time, until the dough is able to hold together. Press the mixture into a ball, wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a rectangle that is 16×12 inches. The dough should be about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 1×3 inch strips. Place the strips onto the prepared baking sheets spaced about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden and crispy. Cool completely before storing.
- Cheddar Crackers is ready to serve.
Prep Time:15 Min
Cook Time:10 Min
Ready In:55 Min
Cheese Wafers Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
How to make Cheese Wafers
- In a medium size mixing bowl, blend together butter or margarine and flour. Mix in the Cheddar cheese, salt, red pepper, hot pepper sauce, and pecans. Form the dough into a roll, wrap in parchment paper, and refrigerate over night.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Slice dough into very thin wafers. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until crisp.
- Cheese Wafers is ready to serve.
Prep Time:8 Hrs 5 Min
Cook Time:20 Min
Ready In:8 Hrs 25 Min