Chocolate Cola Cake Ingredients
250g/9oz self raising flour
- 300g/10½oz golden caster sugar
- 3 heaped tbsp cocoa
- generous pinch bicarbonate of soda
- 250g/9oz butter
- 250ml/8½fl oz cola drink
- 125ml/4¼fl oz milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5ml/ltsp vanilla extract
- For the topping Double quantities if you like a thick frosting
- 100g/3½oz butter
- 2 tbsp cola drink
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 200g/7oz icing sugar
- To Serve:
- caramel chocolate bar (king size)
- a splash of double cream
- warm water
- 2 tbsp mini marshmallows (optional)
How to make Chocolate Cola Cake
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Melt the butter and cola drink gently in a pan then add to the dry ingredients, together with the milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Mix gently but thoroughly and tip into a buttered, loose based cake tin (24cm/9½ in diameter). Bake for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave for about 15 minutes while you make the topping. Put the butter, cola drink and cocoa into a pan and melt slowly. Bring the mixture to the boil and then pour onto the icing sugar. Beat until smooth and pour over the cake while still warm. Cool the cake in the tin.
- Serve with the sauce, made by melting the chocolate bar gently in a pan with a splash of cream, you may want to add a little warm water to achieve a pouring consistency, stir in the marshmallows if using. The sauce is rich and sweet, as is the topping, you may want to serve with one or the other rather than both.
Chocolate Cola Cake is ready to serve.
preparation time: Less than 30 mins
cooking time: 30 mins to 1 hour