Chocolate Bites Ingredients:
1 tablespoon softened butter
- Cocoa powder for dusting pan
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 8 ounces special dark or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 (large) egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 5 (large) egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the Coating:
- 8 ounces special dark or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 ounce food-grade wax or paraffin (such as Gulf Wax – see Notes), shaved thin
- 1 Tbsp shortening (not butter or margarine)
- White chocolate chips or other flavored chocolate chips for decoration (or sprinkles)
How to make Chocolate Bites
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with non-stick foil. Coat with 1 tablespoon of the butter and dust with cocoa powder, tapping out any excess.
- In a double-boiler, melt the 8 ounces of chopped chocolate with the 8 tablespoons butter and stir occasionally until smooth and creamy. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly (NOT in the refrigerator) while preparing the egg mixtures.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg yolks together with the sugar and vanilla until thick, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl once or twice, for about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large aluminum bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff. Set aside.
- Slowly and gently fold the chocolate into the yolk mixture, adding just a little chocolate at a time to keep the eggs from scrambling. When all the chocolate mixture has been incorporated, fold in the stiff egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, and bake in the center of the oven until spongy, about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and place the cake on a rack to cool completely.
- When cake is cool, prepare chocolate coating by melting the wax and shortening in a double-boiler with gently simmering water in the bottom. Add 8 ounces chopped chocolate, stirring until completely smooth. Remove from heat.
- Cut the cooled cake into 36 equal bite-size pieces by cutting cake first into quarters, then each quarter into 9 pieces.
- Place a generous sheet of wax paper or plastic-coated butcher paper with shiny-side up on a work surface. Working a row at a time, paint a dollop of chocolate coating wide enough to cover the bottom of each piece. Immediately place cake pieces on warm chocolate before it cools, placing them about 1/4-inch apart. Continue until all pieces have a chocolate bottom.
- Pipe or spoon remainder of warm chocolate coating (re-warm if necessary) over the tops of the cake pieces so they are completely covered. Quickly place one white chocolate chip atop each piece before the chocolate cools. Chill for two hours or overnight. Trim excess chocolate from bites before serving. (Save any excess chocolate. It can be melted and used again.)
- Notes: For a more festive look for parties or gifts, sprinkle the tops of the coated pieces with sprinkles, small candy pieces, or nuts before putting in the refrigerator to set the chocolate coating.
- Paraffin (Gulf Wax) is usually sold near canning supplies in your local market.
- These rich and delicious dessert bites are gluten-free. The texture is in between brownies and fudge.
Chocolate Bites is ready to serve.
Yield: 36 squares
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes