Home / Tag Archives: chinese beef
Tag Archives: chinese beef
Chinese dry beef and chillies Ingredients:
- Beef (steak or cubes) 1/2 kg
- Green chillies 12 medium
- Large size Onions 2 medium size
- Cornflour 1/4 cup
- Chicken stock/soup 2-1/2 cups (see how to prepare below)
- Oil 1/4 cup
- Chinese Salt 1 tsp (teaspoon)
- Vinegar 1/4 cup
- Ordinary salt 1/2 tsp
- Soya sauce 1/4 cup
How to make Chinese dry beef and chillies:
- Thinly slice beef into approximately 1/2 inch, rectangular bitesize pieces.
- Boil these pieces with water and some salt.
- Use enough water to cook the meat until tender (the water should dry up).
- Do not add too much water or cook the meat too long.
- While the meat is boiling, peel and cut the onions into cubes.
- Cut chillies into half lenghtwise and remove the seeds with the tip of a knife.
- Handling the chillies with your hands can irritate your hands!
- Make a paste of cornflour with 1 cup of water.
- Heat oil and fry the beef pieces until slightly brown on medium heat.
- Add onion and chillies, frying a little after each addition.
- Add chinese salt, ordinary salt, vinegar, soya sauce and the chickenstock/soup cooking for 2 minutes.
- Before serving bring to boil, add cornflour paste very slowly, stirring to keep lumps from forming.
- Cook for a minute on medium heat for few minutes.
- Serve it with rice.
- 1 1/2lb rump steak in one piece
- 4 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp whole cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 225 gm cooked long-grain rice
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 tbsp lard
- 1 onion, sliced
- Put the steak into a large bowl.
- Bring the vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, pepper, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf to the boil in a pan then leave to cool.
- Pour over the steak, cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator overnight, turning occasionally.
- Mix the rice, parsley, salt and oil.
- Drain the beef and spread the mixture over the steak, roll up and tie securely with string.
- Melt the lard, add the onion and steak and fry until browned on all sides.
- Pour in enough water almost to cover the steak, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Chinese Beef is ready to serve.