For the braised mince
- 1½ tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Two small onions, peeled, chopped
- Three garlic cloves, peeled, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 500g/1lb 2oz beef mince
- 200g/7oz canned chopped tomatoes
- ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ beef stock cubes
- For that chilli con carne
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled, finely chopped
- Two garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 350ml/12fl oz red wine
- 1 by 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
- splash Worcestershire sauce
- Two red chillies, finely chopped
- 800g/1¾lb braised mince (see over)
- 250g/9oz mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 x 410g/14¼oz may red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 stock cube, dissolved within 250ml/9fl ounce boiling water
- For everyone
- 300g/10½oz long-grain rice, cooked according to packet instructions, drained
- Four warmed tortilla wraps
- 1 by 142ml/5fl ounce pot soured cream
- 100g/3½oz mature cheddar, grated
How to make Chilli con carne
- For the braised mince, heat 1 / 2 of the actual vegetable oil inside a big pan over a high temperature. Add the onions, garlic and herbal treatments as well as fry for 3-4 moments, or till softened as well as golden-brown. Turn off the heat and set the skillet apart.
- Heat another from the leftover oil inside a separate skillet over a medium heat. Give a third from the beef mince and fry for 4-5 minutes, or till browned.
- Transfer the actual browned mince towards the pan containing the onions, garlic and herbal treatments.
- Repeat the procedure two times more using the remaining oil and the remaining amounts of mince. (NB: Overloading the pan will not speed things up because the pan will lose warmth, so spend some time.)
- Return the skillet that contains the cooked mince and veggies to a medium heat. Add the canned tomatoes as well as Worcestershire sauce and mix the mixture well to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- At the same time, topple the stock cubes into a large heatproof jug and include 500ml/18fl oz of boiling water. Stir until the stock cubes possess dissolved.
- Add the actual stock towards the beef and tomatoes mixture and produce to some simmer. Simmer for one hr, discovered, or even before amount of liquid offers reduced slightly and also the sauce has thickened. Put aside for cooling.
- At the same time, for the chilli con carne, warmth the oil in a large heavy-based skillet on the moderate warmth. Include the onions and garlic as well as fry for 3-4 moments, or till melted as well as somewhat browned.
- Stir out of all ground spices till these people coat the actual let’s eat some onions and garlic, after that pour in the red wine and produce the mix to some simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer with regard to 6-8 moments, or even until the volume of fluid offers reduced through fifty percent.
- Add the actual chopped tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and chopped red chillies and continue to simmer for 4-5 minutes, or even until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Add the braised mince, mushrooms, kidney coffee beans as well as beef stock, stir well, then simmer over a low heat, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes, mixing from time to time, or even before sauce offers thickened and also the flavours have intensified.
- To serve, divide the grain equally among four helping dishes. Spoon over the chilli con carne. Location 1 tortilla together with every helping. Place the soured cream as well as parmesan cheese into small bowls and serve together with.
Chilli con carne is ready to serve.
Less than 30 mins preparation time
1 to 2 hours cooking time