Recipes for chana
Kofta Nahari Chana Ingredients
Beef (bong) 1 kg
- Fennel, cumin, dry ginger (grind together) 1 tsp
- Oil 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Red chilies 2 tbsp
- Turmeric 1 tsp
- Flour 1/2 cup
- Ginger/ garlic paste 1 tsp
- Onion (big) 1
- Cloves powder 8
- Cardamom grind 6
- Beef (mince) 1/2 kg
- Salt to taste
- Red chilies per taste
- Garam masala 1 tsp
- Ginger powder 1 tsp
- Green chilies (grinded) 1 tsp
- Green coriander (thinly cut) 1 cup
- Chana (bhuna, grind it) 1 tbsp
- Khaskhas 1 tsp
- Chana (white, boiled) 250 gms
How to make Kofta Nahari Chana
- In a pan heat oil then golden brown onion in it. .
- Add ingredients of Nahari in this pan.
- Again mix well and stir-fry.
- Make paste of flour and fry it in a pan then add it in the above nahari pan.
- Mix well, stir for few minutes, and add enough water to soak meat in it.
- Then tightly cover the lid on pan and cook for several hours on medium heat.
- When meat is tender and gravy thickens with good smell.
- Simmer a little and put off flame. Nahari is ready.
- In beef mice add ingredients of koftas. .
- Mix well and make round balls. Shallow fry them.
- In Nahari pan put all the koftas.
- Mix them gently with gravy and cook on low flame for 10 minutes.
- Now add boiled canas in this Nahari pan, cook on low flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Then put this pan on ‘Dum’. In another pan heat oil and brown ginger in it.
- Pour this ginger in Nahari pan to give Tarka. Put off flame and garnish.
- Nahari with green coriander leaves, green chilies and ginger. Serve with naan.
Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 3 Hours
Green Chana Curry Ingredients:
- Hara Chana (fresh or frozen) – 2 cups
- Potatoes- 2 medium
- Whole garam masala – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) – 1 tbsp
- Chana Masala -3/4 tbsp
- Cashews – 2 tbsp (powdered)
- Ingredients for gravy:
- Onion -3/4 (pureed)
- Tomato puree -1 cups
- Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Green chili -1 tsp (finely chopped) [Optional]
- olive oil – 2 tbspn
- Salt as per taste
How to make Green Chana Curry:
- Wash dry fresh or frozen hara chana a couple of times and keep them aside.
- For gravy, heat olive oil in a pan. Add whole garam masala. Let it crackle. Then add pureed onions and sauté it, till turns light golden. Add ginger paste, garlic paste and chopped green chilies (optional). Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder in the gravy. Add cashew powder to the gravy and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Peel and cut potatoes in medium size chunks and keep aside.
- In the pressure cooker add washed hara chana, potatoes, prepared gravy, salt and 1.5 cups of water. Cook it for 15-20 minutes on medium heat.
- Finally, add chana masala and kasoori methi and let it simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Garnish Hara chana with freshly chopped cilantro and serve with halved lemons.
- Enjoy with fresh naan, paratha or steamed basmati rice.
Kabli Chana Pulao Ingredients:
- 1½ cup Basmati rice
- 1 cup chickpeas (channa)
- 1 medium size onion finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 4 cloves
- 4 cardamoms
- 4 black peppers
How to make Kabli Chana Pulao:
- Soak the chickpeas for 12 hours and pressure-cook for 15 minutes.
- Heat ghee in pressure cooker and add the spices and onion.
- When onion is light brown, add the chickpeas.
- Sauté for a while and then add rice.
- Add 1½ cups water and pressure-cook for 5 min.
- Serve hot, along with raita
Chana Pulao Ingredients
- 1 cup whole Chana (white, black or green)
- 1 cup rice soaked for about 30 minutes
- 5 tbs. oil
- 1 medium sized onion sliced
- 1 tbs. ginger (Adrak) paste
- 1 tbs. garlic (Lehsan) paste
- 1 tsp. whole Cumin Seeds (Zeera)
- 6 black pepper (Kali Mirch).
- 6 cloves (Laung)
- 1 black cardamom (Bari Ilaichi)
- ½ inch piece of cinnamon (Dalchini)
- 1 tsp. salt (according to taste
How to make Chana Pulao Recipe
- Add about 3 cups of water and boil till the Chana becomes tender but does not break apart. Drain and keep aside.
- In another pan, heat the oil and add the onions. Sauté till it starts to turn brown.
- Add the Ginger (Adrak), Garlic (Lehsan), Cumin Seeds (Zeera)), Black Peppercorn. (Kali Mirch), Clove (Laung), Ilaichi, cinnamon and salt along with ½ cup of water. Mix well and allow the water to dry. Add the Chana and presoaked rice.
- Add water so that it reaches about a 1½ cm above the level of the rice and Chana.
- Cover and cook till water dries and the rice and Chana tender.
- Reduce heat to the minimum, cook in their own steam (dum) for another 5 minutes and remove.
- Serve with garlic chutney or Achaar.
Serving: 4 to 5 persons
Kala Chana Ingredient
Kala chana 2 cups
- Bay leaf 1 big
- turmeric powder 1 pinch
- Chopped Tomato 3
- Chopped onion 1
- corainder powder 1/2 tsp
- garam masala 1/2 tsp
- Ginger 1 inch chopped
- red chillie powder 1/2 tsp
- Chopped green chillies 3
- Salt to taste
- Corainder leaves for Garnishing
How to make Kala Chana
- Soak the kala chana Overnight.Pressure cook the kala chana .
- Now heat 2tsp oil in the pan. Then add tomato, onion , green chillies and ginger.
- Cook until masala does not separates from oil.
- Then add salt and turmeric powder.
- Add boiled kala chana , red chillie powder, garam masala and corainder leaves.
- Cook until a thick ravy is not formed.
- Remove from fire.Add corainder leaves for garnishing. Serve it hot with roti .
Chana Dal Ingredients:
1 cup chana daal (soaked for an hour but not necessary)
- 1 teaspoon haldi
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 onion chopped 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup ghee or half stick of butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- green chili or red to taste
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon zeera ground and 1tbs. chopped cilantro (hara dhania dhania) for garnish
How to make Chana Dal
- Add the daal in a small sauce pan with 1 glass of water to cover the daal add 1/2 teaspoon haldi,1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil.
- Cook until the daal is tender but not to soft.
- In another pot saute the onions and garlic until they are golden.
- Add tomato,half teaspoon haldi,pepper and spices.
- Cook until tomato is tender.
- Add the daal including the water that it cooked in.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until desired thickness.
- Chana Dal Recipe is ready to serve.
Kalay Channay Ingredients:
2 cups kalay channay (black chickpeas)
- 2 teaspoons chat masala
- 1 teaspoon khatai powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
How to make Kalay Channay
- Soak the chick peas in warm water for several hours or overnight.Then wash and boil the chickpeas in plenty of salty water until tender but still retain their shape.Discard the water.
- Combine all the ingredients and chickpeas in a large bowl and mix well with hands or with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer to serving dish.Sprinkle more spices or lemon juice,if desire.
- Sliced green chilies, diced the onions and tomatoes can be added to the chickpeas
A quick, oil free channa chaat that works as a great salad too. You can use either black chickpeas, hara chana or kabuli channa. This particular recipe does not call for yogurt, sweet or green chutney that are an integral part of most chaat recipes.
- Chick peas or channa (black or white)
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- a tbsp of coriander leaves
- pinch of chilli powder or pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala powder
- Dash of lemon juic
How to make Channa Chaat
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix up them and add lemon juice.
- Serve chill
Aloo Chana Chat Ingredients:
- 250gms Boiled Chick peas
- 3 Potatoes, boiled, peeled, diced
- 1 tsp Roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp Chaat masala
- 1 Small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 inch ginger (grated)
- 1 Tomato, deseeded, medium chopped
- 2 Green chillis, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp Chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Oil
- Juice of 1 to 1 1/2 lemons
- Salt to taste
How to make aloo chana chat:
- Wash chick peas and strain.
- Boil potatoes until soft and dice in 1cm cubes.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and over moderate heat put the chopped green chilies, onion and ginger and saute for a minute.
- Throw in the chick peas and potatoes, and toss until slightly brown.
- Finally add the tomatoes and toss it over medium heat.
- Sprinkle cumin powder ,red chilli powder and chaat masala
- Place the mixture in the bowl and sprinkle fresh coriander with salt to taste.
- To add the punch squeeze lemon juice on top.
Chana Dal Samosa Ingredients:
- 1cup chana dal
- red chilly-1tsp
- black pepper powder- ½
- aniseed- ½ tsp
- cumin seed- ½ tsp
- clove powder- 1tsp
- cinnamon stick – 1
- garam masala-1tsp
- 1tsp amchoor,
- 1tbs chat masala,
- salt to taste
- oil for frying.
For The Dough:
- 1 cup fine flour
- 2tbsp oil,
How to make Chana dal Samosa:
- Soak the dal till 6 hour.
- Now grind it with asafetida.
- Take a bowl add fine flour, oil, salt water and make a stiff dough and set a side.
- Heat the oil into a kadahi now add aniseed, cumin seed, , red chilly and cook for a minutes.
- Now add chana dal now fry for fifteen minutes.
- Add garam masala, chat masala, amchoor, clove, cinnamon stick salt and and set aside.
- Cut the dough into small pieces and make a round cake now fold it from middle and make a semi circle.
- Fold it into conical shape and stuff dal mixture.
- Heat the oil into kadahi now deep fry all samosa till it turn golden brown.