Recipes for carrot pickle
- 3 cups water
- 230gms carrots (scraped and cut into 2″long sticks)
- 1-1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 th tsp each ground mace, cloves and cardamom
- 2tsp salt
- 1/4 th cup shredded jaggery (gur)
- 1/3rd cup mustard oil
How to make Gaajar Ka Achar( Carrot Pickle):
- Boil the water in 2-liter saucepan.
- Add carrots and blanch for a minute.
- Drain the water and then spread carrots on a clean cloth and sundry (or spread them on a towel lined cookie tray and air dry in an oven (200-degree Fahrenheit) for an hour).
- In a bowl mix the mace, cloves, cardamom, salt and jaggery.
- Add the carrots and toss to mix. Transfer to a sterilized glass jar.
- Pour the mustard oil into a small saucepan and place it over a moderate heat.
- As soon as oil begins to smoke remove it from the heat and cool it for 4 minutes, then pour it into the jar and cover it with a clean cloth.
- Set the jar in sunlight for 13-14 days, bringing it indoor every night.
- Shake the jar two or three times daily.
- 15 carrots, peel & cut into long pieces
- 2 onions, chopped into big cubes
- 1/2 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 2 dry red chilies, broken into pieces
- 2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin (jeera) powder
- 1/4 tsp. fenugreek (methi) powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. brown sugar (or powdered jaggery)
- 3 tsp. lemon juice or vinegar
- 2 tsp. red chili powder
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp salt (or to taste)
For the seasoning:
- 1 cup oil
- 1/4 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp. cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 tsp. urad dal (black gram)
- 1/4 tsp. methi (fenugreek) seeds
- 1 tbsp curry leaves
How to make Spicy Carrot Pickle:
- Make a coarse paste of the onions and keep aside.
Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and urad dal to it.
- Once the seeds splutter add asafoetida, broken red chilies and curry leaves too.
- Then add onion paste, ginger-garlic paste and saute ½ till golden brown.
- Turn off the stove and allow it to cool.
- After the mixture cools, add the carrot pieces, salt, lemon juice and all other ingredients.
- Mix well and store in an airtight jar.
- Refrigeration is required.
- Allow the carrots to marinate in this mixture for 2 days.
- The pickle is then ready to serve.
- Serve with steam rice or curd (yogurt) and rice.
- 1 kg carrots
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 125 g cloves of garlic (leave small cloves whole, slice large ones)
- 250 g large green chillies
- 125 ml red fruit vinegar
- 225 ml oil
- Salt to taste
- Extra salt
- Scrape and slice the carrots lengthwise.
- Add salt and leave to marinate for half an hour. Wash and drain.
- Slit the green chillies lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Add to the carrots together with salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and garlic.
- Mix well. Add the vinegar and unheated oil.
- Marinate in refrigerator for 24 hours before serving.
- Chef’s Tips: Keeps well in refrigerator for 8-15 days. For a different flavour add 1 tsp mustard seeds.