Recipes for butter
Butter Tarts Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
How to make Butter Tarts
- Fill a cup with ice and water. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Cut in the shortening to make pea-size pieces. Add the tablespoons of ice water from the cup until dough holds together. Form the dough into a ball. The dough is now complete. Put it into a plastic bag or wrap it up and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough between two sheets of waxed paper. Cut the shells using a large glass or your smallest pot. You should have about 12 shells when finished. Put these shells into a greased muffin or tart pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- Put walnuts and coconut on baking pan and roast for 5-10 minutes, until brown. Remove from oven and set temperature to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Fill the bottom of each tart shell with about 10 raisins each.
- Whisk together sugar, egg, butter, vanilla and hot water. Add coconut and walnuts. Pour mixture into tart shells, filling 2/3 full and no more.
- Bake in 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before attempting to remove. Makes 12 tarts.
Butter Tarts is ready to serve.
Butter Cake Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
How to make Butter Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 8 inch square baking pan. Line bottom with wax paper or dust lightly with flour.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Cream the butter and blend in the white sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Stir until just blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 to 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Remove from pan and allow it to cool.
- Variation: Blueberry Cake; Add 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg to your dry ingredients and stir in 1 cup fresh blueberries into the batter before you bake it. Cut it into squares while it is still hot.
Butter Cake is ready to serve.
Almond Butter Coffee Cake Ingredients
1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4, cup shortening
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1/2 cake yeast
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1/16 teaspoon mace
- 1/16 teaspoon cardamom
How to make Almond Butter Coffee Cake
- Add sugar, salt and shortening to milk and cool to lukewarm.
- Add crumbled yeast and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add egg and 1% cups flour; beat well. Add remaining flour sifted with spices; then knead well.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Knead down and let rise again. Shape into 2 coffee cakes and place in greased pans. Let rise 15 minutes.
- Spread almond mixture on top and let rise until doubled in bulk. Bake in moderate even (375° F.) 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Almond Butter Coffee Cake is ready to serve.
Total Time105 min
Butter Garlic Prawns Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- half a bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1kg medium raw prawns, peeled with tails attached, and deveined
How to make Butter Garlic Prawns
- Preheat oven to 230 C.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, mustard, lemon juice, garlic and parsley. When the butter melts completely, remove from heat.
- Arrange prawns in a shallow baking dish. Pour the butter mixture over the prawns and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until the prawns are pink and opaque.
- Butter Garlic Prawns is ready to serve.
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins