Brown Rice Risotto Ingredients
4 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked brown Arborio or other short-grain rice
- 2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled fresh pumpkin
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
How to make Brown Rice Risotto
- Bring broth and water to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep
warm over low heat.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots; cook 1 minute
or until tender, stirring constantly. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 3 minutes,
stirring constantly. Add wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid has evaporated. Add rice;
cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 1 cup broth mixture; cook 6 minutes or
until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a
time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the
next (about 55 minutes total). Stir in pumpkin during last 15 minutes of cooking time.
Stir in cheese and remaining ingredients.
Brown Rice Risotto is ready to serve.