Braised Onions Ingredients
1 pound pearl onions, about 1 inch in diameter
- Chicken stock or water (or vegetable stock for vegetarian option)
- Salt and pepper
- Sugar (for brown-braised onions)
How to make Braised Onions
- Blanch the onions in boiling water for one minute. Drain and rinse in cold water to stop cooking. Slice off the ends; slip off the skins.
- If you are using frozen pearl onions, defrost and drain them before the next step.
Put onions in one layer in a saucepan with chicken stock or water coming up halfway. Add 1 Tbsp butter, season lightly, cover, and simmer slowly 25 minutes, or until tender.
- Before braising, sauté peeled onions in one layer in butter until lightly browned. Then add liquid, salt, and 1 teaspoon of sugar; cover and simmer slowly 25 minutes, or until tender.
- Uncover, boil off excess liquid, and fold in another Tbsp of butter if you wish. For “creamed” onions add some heavy cream to white-braised onions when they are just tender. Simmer several minutes until thickened, basting.
Braised Onions is ready to serve.