Veal Cordon Bleu Ingredients
8 (1/8-inch-thick) veal cutlets (also called scaloppine; all the
same size, about 2 1/2 oz each)
- 1 (1/2-lb) piece Gruyère
- 4 (1/8-inch-thick) slices baked ham such as Virginia
- 1 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
How to make Veal Cordon Bleu
- If cutlets are thicker than 1/8 inch, pound them between sheets of plastic wrap with flat side of meat pounder. Using cheese plane, shave enough cheese to make a double layer for each of 4 cutlets.
- Pat dry 2 cutlets of the same shape and arrange 1 cutlet on a work surface. Put 1 slice of ham on cutlet, trimming ham to leave a 1/4-inch border of veal around the ham, then arrange a double layer of cheese on ham and top with second cutlet. Lightly pound 1/4-inch border around cutlets’ outer edges to seal veal sandwich. Make 3 more sandwiches in same manner.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Stir together bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large shallow baking dish. Stir together flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in another large baking dish. Whisk together eggs, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a third large baking dish.
- Dredge 1 veal sandwich in flour, knocking off excess, then dip in egg to coat, letting excess drip off, and dredge in bread crumbs, patting to help them adhere. Transfer coated sandwich to a rack set on a baking sheet. Dredge and coat remaining sandwiches in same manner. Chill, uncovered, 1 hour, and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides. Add 2 veal sandwiches, then reduce heat to moderate and cook, turning over once, until golden, about 4 minutes total. Transfer to plates and wipe out skillet with paper towels. Cook remaining sandwiches in remaining butter and oil in same manner.
- Veal Cordon Bleu is ready to serve.
Time : 2 hr