Bhuna Beef Ingredients:
800g Diced Lean Beef Steak
- 1 Cup/300ml Water or Beef Stock
- 2 Small white onions finely chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Ginger Puree
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Puree
- 200g Groundnut Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 4 Teaspoons Mild Curry Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Teaspoon whole Toasting Seeds
- 100ml Natural Yogurt
- 4 Tablespoons Tomato Puree
- 100ml Pureed Onion
- 1 Small onion, 2 Deseeded Tomatoes, chopped into a very fine dice to garnish
How to make Bhuna Beef
- To make the Onion Puree, bring a small pan of water to the boil and add some chopped onions. Boil until soft, drain and puree with a hand blender or in a food processor. Freeze any extra you make for next time.
- Heat a large saucepan on a high heat. Once it is hot add the whole seeds and toast them until they sizzle and crackle. Now add the oil and then add the chopped onions and reduce the heat to low. You can optionally add 1 or 2 Whole Star Anise which help bring out the sweetness of the onions and imparts a subtle aniseed flavour but remove them once the onions are cooked. Cook the onions gently and slowly until they turn a golden brown colour.
- Make a paste of the ginger puree, garlic puree, curry powder, Turmeric powder, Chilli powder, with a little water. Add to saucepan and stir in well and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Now add your 800g Diced Lean Beef Steak stir in well.
- Mix the Yogurt, Tomato Puree, Onion Puree, together in a jug with the water or stock and pour into the saucepan and mix in well. Turn up the heat until the sauce begins to simmer and leave to simmer for 20 Minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Finally sprinkle in the Garam masala and stir in well for the final 2 minutes of cooking. Garnish with the 1 Small onion, 2 Deseeded Tomatoes, chopped into a very fine dice and serve.
- Bhuna Beef is ready to serve.