Recipes for beetroot
Beetroot And Orange Salad ingredients
1 lb (450 g) beetroot
- 2 large oranges
- for the salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or groundnut oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make Beetroot And Orange Salad
- To make the dressing, lightly crush the celery seeds in a mortar using a pestle, or with the end of a rolling pin, and place them in a small saucepan.
- Add the wine vinegar, sugar and 1/4 pint (150 ml) water. Boil for 8-10 minutes until the liquid has reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Strain into a bowl and put to one side to cool.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the oranges, cutting away the pith and the skin. Slice the oranges into rings, catching any juice in a bowl to add to the dressing.
- Peel and thinly slice the beetroot, cubing a small amount to place in the centre of the dish. Arrange the beetroot and orange slices alternately.
- Mix the oil with the vinegar mixture, add salt and black pepper to taste and beat well with a fork. Pour the dressing over the salad and serve. For extra garnish, arrange thinly pared strips of orange peel over the salad.
- Beetroot And Orange Salad is ready to serve.
Preparation time : 20 minutes,
Beetroot Salsa Ingredients:
- 500g lamb mince
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup mint leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 425g canned baby beetroot, drained
- 1 tbs finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 100g soft goat’s cheese
- Toasted hamburger buns and salad leaves, to serve
How to make Beetroot Salsa:
- Place the lamb in the bowl of a food processor with half the onion, the garlic, parsley, 2 teaspoons of the cumin and 1/4 cup of the mint. Pulse until the mixture just comes together. Season with salt and pepper and form into 4 patties.
- Cut beetroot into small cubes. Place in a bowl with the remaining onion, cumin and mint. Add the coriander, lemon juice and oil, then season and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Grease a chargrill or frypan and heat over medium-high heat. Cook patties for 3 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. Crumble cheese on top of each patty. Place under grill for about 1 minute until cheese is bubbling.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns with salad leaves, beetroot salsa and extra mint leaves.
Rava Payasam Ingredients:
- 1 litre Milk
- 100 gms Wheat Rava
- 200 gms Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cashew Nut
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Raisins
How to make Rava Payasam:
- Heat little ghee in a frying pan.
- Fry cashew nuts and raisins in ghee.
- Fry wheat rava in the remaining ghee until the raw flavor gets lost.
- Boil 2 measures of water in a thick vessel.
- Add fried wheat rava and cook. Add sugar.
- Allow the mixture to boil for about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the flame.
- Boil and add the milk to payasam.
- Mix cashewnuts, raisins and cardamom powder.
- Rava Payasam is ready to serve.
Rava Ladoo Ingredients:
- 1 cup semolina (rava / suji)
- 1 cup sugar (cheeni)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tblsp currants (kishmish)
- 1 tblsp cashewnuts (kaju)
- 3 tsp pure ghee
How to make rava ladoo:
- Cut the cashew nuts.
- Wash and dry the currants.
- Heat up a little ghee and lightly fry them.
- Keep aside.
- Heat up ghee in a deep pot and fry the semolina (suji) on low heat up till it turns light brown in colour.
- Then mix in sugar and milk and stir fry till the mixture becomes sticky.
- Mix in the cashew nuts and raisins to the mixture.
- Take off the pot from heat up and form the dough into small balls.
- Serve when cool and dry.
Rava Kesari Ingredients:
- Rava: 1 cup
- sugar: 1.5-2 cups
- cashewnuts: 10-12
- raisins: 15-20
- ghee: 4 tbsp or more
- orange food color (kesari): a pinch
- saffron: a pinch (optional)
- cloves: 3-4 (optional)
How to make Rava Kesari:
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a thick bottomed pan, fry the broken cashews and raisins (and optional cloves) and keep aside.
- Add another tbsp of ghee and fry the rava to a light pink color and keep aside.
- Heat 3 cups of water in the same pan, add the coloring and the saffron when it comes to a boil.
- Add the rava slowly, constantly stirring, and mix well.
- Allow the rava to be cooked at medium heat.
- The rava has to cook well.
- When it is fully cooked, add the sugar and stir well.
- When the sugar is fully dissolved, add the remaining ghee.
- Keep stirring until the rava starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- Garnish with the fried cashews and raisins and cardamom powder.
- 8 Rasgulla Logs
- 1 recipe Sandesh
- 5 strands Saffron (soaked in 1 tbsp Milk)
- 1/2 tbsp Almonds (chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp Pistachios (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 2 Fresh Banana Leaves
- 1 tbsp Pistachio Slivers (garnishing)
- 2 drops Saffron Food Color (garnishing)
How to make Rasmadhuri:
- Make 8 boxes out of banana leaf boxes. Keep the boxes aside.
- Make rasgulla logs, following the instructions given in the recipe. Drain the syrup and slit the rasgulla logs from the middle, to divide them into two equal parts. Keep them aside.
- Divide the sandesh into two equal parts.
- Add saffron milk, chopped nuts and cardamom powder in one portion of sandesh and mix all the ingredients well. Divide the mixture into 8 portions and keep aside.
- Add milk to the other portion of sandesh. Mix well to make a smooth mixture.
- Sandwich one portion of the saffron-sandesh mixture between the two slit parts of each rasgulla log and put them in the banana leaf boxes.
- Top each box with the sandesh milk mixture. Fill the box completely with the mixture and smoothen the upper surface using the back of a knife.
- Garnish with pistachios silvers and lines of saffron color.
- Serve rasmadhuri chilled.
- 1/2 Litre milk
- 3 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tsp All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Rose essence or cardamom powder
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Sugar
How to make Rasgulla:
- Take a pan and heat milk in it. Bring it to a boil.
- Add lemon juice, stirring slowly and gently till cheese separates from the milk.
- Now turn off the heat and strain it through a strainer.
- Make sure all the water from the cheese is drained.
- Now knead it to make soft dough.
- Combine flour with it and knead again.
- Make small rounded balls from the dough, keep aside.
- The balls should not have any cracks in it.
- Now combine sugar and water in a saucepan and boil it.
- Add cheese balls to the syrup and cook it for about 30 minutes with lid partially covered.
- Add rose essence or cardamom powder and turn the heat off.
- Allow to cool and serve .
- 200 gms Cottage cheese
- 1/2 kg Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Saffron (soaked in milk)
- 2 tbsp Cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp Almonds
- Yellow colour
- 2 tbsp Cardamom powder
How to make Raj Bhog:
- Mix cashew nuts, almonds, pistachios and cardamom powder.
- Blend it well in mixie to make a powdered mixture.
- Add saffron milk and make a paste.
- Make small balls from this nut paste.
- Cut cheese into two parts
- Add saffron and colour to one part and keep the other part white.
- Make small balls from both the parts.
- Place a nut ball inside the white cheese balls.
- Cover this with coloured cheese balls.
- Prepare sugar syrup.
- Boil the cheese balls in syrup over medium flame.
- Cook it for more 20 minutes.
- Keep it for cooling.
- Serve with sugar syrup.
Pumpkin Halwa Ingredients:
- Grated Pumpkin – 2&1/2 cups
- Milk -1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Honey -1 cup
- Cardamom – 5
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Ghee – 1/4 cup (melted butter)
How to make Pumpkin Halwa:
- Roast the cashews in ghee until it becomes golden brown.
- In a pan, heat 1 tsp ghee, add the grated pumpkin to it and stir well in low flame till the raw flavor is gone.
- To this add milk and cook till the pumpkin is tender. To this add sugar, honey, stir constantly in low flame.
- Add the roasted cashews and grounded cardamom mix well and leave it for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 tsp ghee to it and stir well, put in low flame till the ghee floats. Serve hot.
Poda Pitha Ingredients:
- 500 gm: Black gram dal (Urad Dal)
- 500 gm: Rice
- 1 medium size: Coconut (whole)
- 500 gm: Guda (jaggery) / sugar
- 2 teaspoonful: Salt
- 2 inches (15gms): Ginger
- 1 tsp: Black pepper powder
- 2 tsp: Ghee
How to make Poda Pitha:
- Soak black gram dal and rice for about six hours. Wash the dal and rice cleanly and grind it. The paste should be fine and thick. Add salt and mix well. Keep paste aside for 2/3 hours.
- Grate the coconut.
- Cut ginger into very small cub sizes.
- Then mix coconut, jaggery/sugar, ginger and black pepper powder and mix well
- Pre-heat oven for 10 minutes and grease it with ghee.
- Pour the paste into the tray and keep it in the oven. Keep the oven very hot for 30 minutes. Then keep it moderately hot for 30 minutes. It should be checked with a needle and when its colour is golden brown the Poda Pitha is ready to eat.
- Then remove the whole Poda Pitha (baked cake) from the oven and allow it to cool down.
- Cut it into small pieces and serve it with any chutney preferably with coconut chutney.