Recipes for beef salad
Oriental Beef Salad Ingredients
1 ts Reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 ts Rice vinegar
- 1/2 ts Chinese sesame oil
- 1/2 ts Peanut oil
- 1 oz Cooked roast beef; cut into
- 1/2 c Cooked long-grain rice;
- 1/4 c Canned mandarin orange
- 2 tb Finely diced red or yellow
- 1 tb Sliced scallion (green
- 1 ts Sesame seed; toasted
How to make Oriental Beef Salad
- Source: Weight Watchers “Simply Light Cooking”
- In medium mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, vinegar and oils; add beef and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to beef mixture and toss to combine. Nutritional Information (from recipe): 273 calories, 12 g protein, 8 g fat, 37 g carbohydrates, 54 mg calcium, 226 mg sodium, 23 mg cholesterol, 1 g dietary fiber (fiber figure does not include sesame seeds). I doubled the main ingredients (beef, rice and vegetables). I doubled the amounts of soy sauce and vinegar (I didnt have rice vinegar, so used white wine vinegar) and added sesame oil to (my) taste – probably a dash more than 1/2 tsp. Completely forgot the peanut oil and it didnt seem to make any difference. I didnt have mandarin oranges, but had some canned Clementines (more tart than mandarins) and used them.
- Oriental Beef Salad is ready to serve.
Yield: 1 Servings
Asian Beef Salad Ingredients
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (1-lb.) flank steaks
- 1 (1 3/4-lb.) napa cabbage, chopped
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- Soy-Sesame Dressing
How to make Asian Beef Salad
- Combine teriyaki sauce and oil in a shallow dish or large zip-top plastic freezer bag; add steaks, turning to coat. Cover or seal, and chill 1 hour, turning steaks occasionally.
- Remove steaks from marinade, discarding marinade.
- Grill steaks, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 5 to 7 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes; cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
- Toss steak slices, cabbage, and next 5 ingredients together; drizzle with desired amount of dressing, tossing gently to coat.
- Asian Beef Salad is ready to serve.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 14 minutes
Other: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: Makes 8 servings
Asian Grilled Beef Salad Ingredients
1 1/4 pound flank steak
- Marinade/ Dressing:
- 4 each cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 3 each scallions white part minced, green part thinly sliced for
- 2 each jalapeno chilies seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (or fish sauce)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- To finish the salad:
- 1 ounce Asian rice noodles
- 1 head Boston lettuce or mixed greens
- 1 each cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet onion thinly sliced and broken into rings
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 ea scallion greens
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
How to make Asian Grilled Beef Salad
- Score the flank steak on both sides in a crosshatch pattern, as shown in the photo. Arrange the steak in a baking dish just large enough to hold it.
- Place the garlic, ginger, scallion whites, chilies, and sugar in a mixing bowl and mash to a paste with the back of the spoon. Add the soy sauce, lime juice, water, and sesame oil and stir or whisk until the sugar crystals are dissolved. Pour half the marinade over the steak and marinate for 1 to 2 hours in the refrigerator, turning several times to insure even marinating.
- Soak the rice noodles in cold water to cover in a large bowl for 1 hour. Taste them. If tender as is, drain well. If the rice noodles are still tough, cook in 3 quarts rapidly boiling water until tender 2 to 4 minutes. Drain in a colander, rinse with cold water, and drain well.
- Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.
- Line your salad plates with large lettuce leaves. Tear the smaller leaves into 2 inch pieces. Place the lettuce pieces, cucumbers, onion, tomatoes, mint, cilantro, and basil in the mixing bowl with the reserved dressing, but to not mix.
- Grill the flank steak until cooked to taste 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 3 minutes. Cut the steak into paper thin slices sharply on the diagonal.
- Toss the salad and loosely mound it on the lettuce lined plates. Place a mound of rice noodles in the center of each. Fan the beef slices on top of the salad and sprinkle with the scallion greens and peanuts. Serve at once.
- Asian Grilled Beef Salad is ready to serve.