Apple Latkes Ingredients
4 Northern Spy apples , 1-3/4 lb (875 g)4 4Northern Spy appleNorthern Spy apples or golden delicious apples, 1-3/4 lb (875 g)
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar 2 2tbsp tbsp(25 mL) (25 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice 1 1tbsp tbsp(15 mL) (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 Pinch salt 1 1Pinch Pinchsalt
- 2 eggs , separated2 2eggeggs, separated
- 3/4 cup cold water 3/4 3/4cup cup(175 mL) (175 mL) cold water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 1 1cup cup(250 mL) (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon 1 1tsp tsp(5 mL) (5 mL) cinnamon
- Vegetable oil , for fryingVegetable oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup icing sugar 1/4 1/4cup cup(50 mL) (50 mL) icing sugar
How to make Apple Latkes
- Peel and grate apples into bowl. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the granulated sugar, lemon juice and salt ; toss to coat. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; beat in remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. In large bowl, whisk egg yolks with cold water; vigorously whisk in flour and cinnamon until almost smooth and a few lumps remain. Stir in apple mixture. Fold in egg whites.
- In large deep skillet, heat 1/2 inch (1 cm) oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Scoop in mixture by scant 1/4 cupfuls (50 mL), leaving about 2 inches (5 cm) between each latke. With spoon, flatten to generous 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness. Fry until deep golden, turning once, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Drain latkes on paper towel-lined rimmed baking sheets. Repeat with remaining mixture, removing any cooked bits from skillet after each batch and adding more oil as necessary. Sift icing sugar over latkes.
- Apple Latkes is ready to serve.