Thai Prawn Soup Recipe
Thai Prawn Soup Ingredients:
- 3 cups shelled green prawns (shrimps) – reserve heads and shells
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 9 cups water
- 6 small Kaffir lime or common lime or lemon leaves or strips of rind of the fruit
- 1 tablespoon lemon grass, shredded
- 4 coriander (Chinese parsley) roots, finely chopped with a little of the stalks
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons sliced coriander leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons sliced green shallots (spring onions, scallions)
- 1 red chilli (chili pepper), seeded and sliced into 1 inch strips
- (see measure conversions for more information)
How to make Thai Prawn Soup:
- De-vein the prawns.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or saucepan and fry the prawn heads and shells until they turn pink.
- Add the water, lime leaves, lemon grass and chopped coriander roots and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the stock through a colander lined with muslin (cheesecloth) and return to the wok/saucepan.
- Add the fish sauce and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, add the prawns and lime juice and cook gently until the prawns turn firm and a pale pink.
- Add the coriander leaves, shallots and red chilli strips just before serving.
Tags prawn soup thai