Grilled Red Bell Pepper and Tomato Soup Ingredients:
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 large tomatoes peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1.5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- thinly sliced green onions
- roasted walnuts
- Creme fraiche or sour cream
How to make Grilled Red Bell Pepper and Tomato Soup:
- Place the bell peppers on the grill and cook turning, until charred and soft, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove and place the peppers in a paper bag and seal and cool for 10 minutes. Peel, remove the seeds and chop.
- Heat oil in a large enough saucepan and add the shallots and garlic. Cook till the shallots start to soften. Add the chopped bell peppers, tomatoes, curry powder and paprika and cook for about 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken stock and milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to blend the contents into a smooth liquid. Alternately transfer the contents to a food processor and process until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice and cayenne pepper and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot in individual bowls and garnish with roasted walnuts, sliced green onions and a dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream.
- This soup is my entry for Jihva for Bell Peppers and Vegetable of the Week hosted by Pooja of My Creative Ideas. Jihva for Ingredients is a food event started by Indira of Mahanandi to celebrate and showcase a chosen ingredient every month.