Tempura Prawn Ingredients:
- Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- 24 large green prawns, peeled, tails left intact, deveined
- Soy sauce, to serve
- Wasabi paste, to serve
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour
- Pinch of bicarbonate of soda
- 250ml (1 cup) iced water
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
How to make Tempura Prawn:
- To make the batter, sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a medium bowl. Add the water and egg and briefly whisk until just combined but still lumpy (do not overmix). Place the bowl over a large bowl filled with iced water.
- Add enough oil to a large saucepan to reach a depth of 5cm. Heat to 190°C over medium-high heat (when the oil is ready a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 10 seconds).
- Holding prawns by tails, dip 6 prawns, 1 at a time, into the batter to evenly coat. Shake off any excess. Add prawns to the oil and cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer prawns to a tray lined with paper towel. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with the remaining batter and prawns, reheating the oil between batches.
- Place the prawns on a serving platter and serve immediately with soy sauce and wasabi paste.
- Bring on spring with gorgeous lamb recipes, salad recipes and strawberry & pineapple recipes.