Deep Fried Razor Clams Ingredients
30 saltine cracker squares
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Dash Tabasco sauce or to taste
- 24 medium-size cleaned fresh or frozen razor clams*
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Lemon Slices
- Cocktail Sauce
How to make Deep Fried Razor Clams
- If the clams are frozen, thaw them in a colander in the sink so they will not be sitting in water as they thaw (if you don’t drain them as they thaw, they will be tough).
- Crush the crackers with a rolling pin. Do not use a food processor which will spin them too fine.
- In a shallow platter, beat the eggs together. Add the milk and Tabasco sauce.
- Dry the clams thoroughly with a paper towel. NOTE: If you proceed without the clams being dry, breading will not adhere to the clams well, and wet clams steaks will result in LOTS of splattering of the hot oil.
- Tenderize clams by pounding with the textured side of a meat mallet – pay particular attention to the tough siphon end. NOTE: Be careful, as you want the clams to remain in one piece.
- Dip each clam in the eggs; drain off any excess. Place them in the crumbs to coat. Place breaded clam on a rack or plate; repeat process with remaining clams. Let clams stand for 20 to 30 minutes to the breading set up.
- While the clams are resting, heat the vegetable oil in a heavy frying pan (cast-iron pan is ideal) over medium-high heat. Add the butter. Heat the oil (but not so hot as to smoke).
- Deep Fried Razor Clams Recipe is ready to serve.