- Thick green chilies 1/2 kg long
- Tamarind 1/2 kg
- Gur / molasses 300 g
- Cumin seeds 3 tsp
- Salt 2 tsp
- Oil 1/2 cup
How to make Sour Green Chilli Chutney
- Make a slit in the green chilies lengthwise on one side taking care not to cut through to the other side.
- Remove seeds. Wash well and put in a strainer.
- Mix 1 tsp each cumin seeds and salt and stuff the slit chilies with it.
- Soak tamarind in hot water, mash with fingers, remove seeds and strain through a sieve and use the pulp.
- Heat oil, add chilies and fry for a few seconds turning the chillies frequently so that they do not brown.
- Add 2 tsp cumin seed and 1 tsp salt. Fry for a minute or two. Add ground molasses and tamarind.
- Simmer for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When cold serve with dal chawal (lentils and rice) or fish curry and khichri.