- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
How to make Red Bean And Rice Salad
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the rice and saute until lightly browned. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the rice, covered, 50 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the broth is completely absorbed. Drain the rice in a colander and set aside to cool at least 30 minutes.
- When cool, transfer the rice to a bowl. Add the remaining oil and the other remaining ingredients except the lettuce, and toss until well combined. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.