Beetroot And Orange Salad ingredients
1 lb (450 g) beetroot
- 2 large oranges
- for the salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or groundnut oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make Beetroot And Orange Salad
- To make the dressing, lightly crush the celery seeds in a mortar using a pestle, or with the end of a rolling pin, and place them in a small saucepan.
- Add the wine vinegar, sugar and 1/4 pint (150 ml) water. Boil for 8-10 minutes until the liquid has reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Strain into a bowl and put to one side to cool.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the oranges, cutting away the pith and the skin. Slice the oranges into rings, catching any juice in a bowl to add to the dressing.
- Peel and thinly slice the beetroot, cubing a small amount to place in the centre of the dish. Arrange the beetroot and orange slices alternately.
- Mix the oil with the vinegar mixture, add salt and black pepper to taste and beat well with a fork. Pour the dressing over the salad and serve. For extra garnish, arrange thinly pared strips of orange peel over the salad.
- Beetroot And Orange Salad is ready to serve.
Preparation time : 20 minutes,