- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 2 cups dried apricots, cut into quarters
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 cup dried unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup (3/8 lb.) butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- CALORIES 481(52% from fat)
- FAT 28g (sat 11g)
- CHOLESTEROL 31mg
- CARBOHYDRATE 54g
- SODIUM 514mg
- PROTEIN 8.9g
- FIBER 4.2g
How to make Basmati Rice Dressing with Dried Fruit, Toasted Almonds, and Coconut
- Preheat oven to 350Â°. In a 2- to 2 1/2-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 1/2 cups water and the rice to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender to bite, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine dried apricots and cranberries. Cover with boiling water and let stand until fruit is plump, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Place coconut and almonds in two separate 10- by 15-inch baking pans. Bake, stirring occasionally, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes for coconut, 8 to 10 minutes for almonds.
- In a 6- to 8-quart pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion and red and green bell peppers; stir until onion is limp, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add ginger, garlic, curry powder, cumin, salt, pepper, cardamom, orange peel, lime peel, and cinnamon; stir just until spices are aromatic, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in cooked rice, dried fruit, almonds, and coconut. Spoon into a shallow 3-quart baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake until hot in the center, about 30 minutes.
Prep Time: 30 Mins
Cook Time: 60 Mins