Turkish Pulao Recipe
Turkish Pulao Ingredients:
- Tomatoes – diced, 1 can (15 oz), drained and liquid reserved
- Onion – 1 small, chopped (3/4 cup)
- Vegetable oil/ Butter – 2 tbsp/ 2-4 tbsp
- Garlic – 2 cloves, chopped
- Long grain rice – 1 1/2 cups
- Vegetable broth – 3 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Ground pepper – as needed
How to make Turkish Pulao:
- Heat 2 tbsp oil or butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Add onion to the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until soft but not brown.
- Now add the garlic, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Heat until sizzling.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until thick, crushing large tomato chunks with the spoon.
- Mix in the rice over medium-low heat until coated with the tomato mixture.
- Fry for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the broth, liquid from the diced tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Stir once or twice and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over very low heat for 18-20 minutes or until the rice is just tender.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Let pilaf stand, covered for 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice lightly with fork.
- Serve warm with kababs, stews and or with mint-cucumber raita.
Tags pulao turkish