Sambar Rice Recipe
Sambar Rice Ingredients:
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup toor dhal (soak the dhal for 3-4 hours in hot water)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder
- 2 tsp sambar powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- ghee for frying
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- a few curry leaves
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 2 cashews (optional)
- few chopped shallots (sambar onions)
- a few chopped corriander leaves
How to make sambhar rice:
- Wash rice and dhal, drain away all the water, to the rice/dhal mixture add the turmeric powder, corriander powder, chilly powder, sambar powder and salt.
- Add 4 cups of water to tamrind paste mix and pour into the dhal/rice mixture.
- Cook in pressure cooker for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add ghee in the pan and fry the shallots (sambar onions), as it’s getting brown add the mustard seeds, cashewnuts, curry leaves.
- Add this seasoning to the Sambar Bath.
- Sprinkle with chopped Corriander Leaves.
- Serve hot.
Tags rice sambar