Ingredients for Rice:
- 1″ piece of Ginger (Adrak) (peeled)
- 2 cloves of Garlic (Lehsan) (peeled)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (Dal Cheeni)
- 8 Black Peppercorns (Saabut Kaali Mirch)
- 4 Cloves (Loung)
- 300 grams of Basmati Rice (washed well)
- Salt (to taste)
- 6 tbsp. of Sunflower Oil
Ingredients for Curry:
- 300 grams of Boneless Chicken (cubed)
- 2 large Onions (chopped)
- 4 tbsp. Tomato (chopped)
- 300 ml of Plain Yogurt
- 70 ml of Single Cream
- 1 tsp. of Ginger Paste (Pisi Adrak)
- 1 tsp. of Garlic Paste (Pisa Lehsan)
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp. Cumin Powder (Pisa Zeera)
- 1 tsp. Red Chilli Powder (Pisi Lal Mirch)
- 1 tsp. Turmeric Powder (Pisi Haldi)
- 1 tsp. Black Cumin Seeds (Kaala Zeera)
- 2 tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 6 tbsp. Sunflower Oil
Ingredients for Garnish:
- 1 large Onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 tbsp. Fresh Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhania) (chopped)
- 4 tbsp. Mint Leaves (Podina) (chopped)
- 1 tsp. of Saffron Strands (Zaafran) (soaked in 2 teaspoons milk)
- 1 tsp. Rose Water (Gulaab Ka Arakh)
- 2 tbsp. Sunflower Oil
Method for Rice:
- Heat oil in a pan and fry cloves, peppercorns, and cinnamon. Continue stirring until the spices begin to change color.
- Add garlic and ginger and stir. Drain rice and add to the mixture with 600ml of hot water. Season with salt and mix well. Cook until soft and fluffy then drain.
- Remove and discard the ginger and garlic. Keep warm.
Method for Chicken:
- Mix chicken with plain yogurt, cream, salt, ginger, garlic, cumin, red chilli powder, and turmeric powder. Heat oil and fry the black cumin until it pops. Add onion and cook until brown then add the tomato and garam masala powder . Cook until blended and add chicken mixture. Stir fry until the oil separates then add 300ml hot water. Reduce heat and cook until chicken is tender.
- In a deep dish arrange layers of rice and chicken curry ending with a rice layer.
- Heat oil in a small pan and fry the onion until brown and crisp. Sprinkle on top of the biryani along with the saffron, coriander leaves, rose water, and mint leaves and cover. Place in a hot oven for 10 minutes until heated throughly.
- Serve hot with plain yogurt and fried whole potatoes.