Home / Rice / Afghani Mutton Biryani Recipe
Afghani Mutton Biryani Recipe
Afghani Biryani Ingredients:
- 1 kilogram lamb meat on the bone
- 11 cloves
- 1 large cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups basmati rice good quality
- 3/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 large onion skinned & thinly sliced
- 8 green cardamoms
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds zeera
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup green raisins
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
How to make Afghani Mutton or Lamb Biryani
- Cut meat into large pieces and wash thoroughly under cold tap water. Place meat, cinnamon, cloves, salt, water, garlic and ginger in a large heavy based sauce pan. Bring to boil and skim off any scum that rises to the top. Reduce heat, cover and allow to boil gently for 40 to 45 minutes until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, put rice in a sieve and wash it thoroughly under running cold tap until water runs clear. Soak in plenty of water for 11\2 hours. Drain in a sieve and let it stand for a minute or two.
- Fry nuts, raisins and carrots separately in 2 tablespoons of oil in a small frying pan. keep aside. Heat oil in a large heavy based pan, add onion and while stirring frequently fry for 3-5 minutes. Add cinnamon stick, cloves, green cardamoms, cumin, meat and 6 cups of stock, add water if necessary to make 6 cups.
- Bring to boil and add rice to it. Carefully stir once. Cover and reduce heat to medium and cook for 7-10 minutes. Gently stir rice. (Do not stir to hard otherwise the rice will break.)
- Put a layer of carrot, raisins and pine nuts on the top of rice. Cover with a tight fitting lid, reduce heat to very low and allow to cook for another 7 – 10 minutes until rice is tender.
- Fluff up rice with a fork, then transfer it into to a heated serving dish.
Tags afghani Biryani lamb mutton