Afghani Briyani Recipe
Afghani Briyani Ingredients
- 1 kilogram. lamb meat on the bone, cut into large pieces.
- 5 cloves
- 1large cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoon. salt
- 1tbsp. ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon. garlic paste
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups good quality saila rice
- 3/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 large onion skinned and thinly sliced
- 1 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 8-10 green cardamoms
- 1 teaspoon. cumin
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup green raisins
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
How to make Afghani Briyani
- Wash meat thoroughly under cold water tap. Place the meat, cinnamon, cloves, salt, water, garlic and ginger in a large heavy based sauce pan. Bring to boil and skim off any scum that rises to the top. Reduce the heat, cover and allow to boil gently for 40 to 45 minutes until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, put the rice in a sieve and wash it thoroughly under running cold tap until the water runs clear. Soak in plenty of water for 11/2 hours. Drain in a sieve and let it stand for a minute or two.
- Fry the nuts, raisins and carrots separately in 2 tablespoons of oil in a small frying pan. keep aside.
- Heat oil in a large heavy based pan, add the onion and while stirring frequently fry for 3-5 minutes. Add cinnamon stick, cloves, green cardamoms, cumin, meat and 6 cups of stock, add water if necessary to make 6 cups. Bring to boil and add the rice to it. Carefully stir once. Cover and reduce the heat to medium and cook for 7-10 minutes. Gently stir the rice. (Do not stir to hard otherwise the rice will break.) Put a layer of carrot, raisins and pine nuts on the top of the rice. Cover with a tight fitting lid, reduce the heat to very low and allow to cook for another 7 – 10 minutes until rice is tender.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork, then transfer it into to a heated serving dish.
Tags afghani Biryani