- Sweet potatoes, unpeeled 1.1 kg
- Shortcrust pastry 225 gm
- Light soft brown sugar 100 gm
- Single cream 100 ml
- Eggs, beaten 2
- Margarine, melted 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp
- Ground mixed spices 1/4 tsp
- Beaten egg to glaze
- Icing sugar to dust
- Salt a pinch
- Cover whole sweet potatoes with water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 25 minutes or until tender. Drain and peel while still warm.
- Set oven 200Â°C. Line a round pie dish or deep flan tin with two thirds of the pastry.
- Roll out remainder and cut into leaves.
- Place on non-stick baking paper or a baking sheet and chill.
- Mash potatoes and combine with remaining ingredients, except the beaten egg and icing sugar.
- Pour in pastry case and bake for about 40 minutes or until set.
- About 15 minutes before pie is done, brush pastry leaves with egg and mark stem and veins with a knife.
- Bake until golden. Allow pie to cool, then decorate top with pastry leaves.
- Sprinkle lightly with icing sugar and serve together with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 65-70 mins