Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Ingredients
1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pound elbow, shell or other bite-size shaped pasta
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
How to make Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- Bring 2 quarts of water to boil in large soup kettle. Add salt and pasta. Using package directions as a guide, cook until al dente. Drain. To prevent sticking, drain and immediately pour onto a large lipped baking sheet and let cool while preparing sauce.
- Meanwhile, microwave the milk and chicken broth in a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup or bowl until hot and steamy (not boiling). Melt butter in the empty pasta pot; whisk in flour, then hot milk mixture. Continue to whisk until thick and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in mustard, Parmesan and pepper. Turn off heat, stir in cheddar until melted.
- Add drained pasta (and optional flavoring ingredients, see notes) to sauce, and stir until everything is well combined over low heat. Stir to heat through, and thin with a little water if the sauce is too thick. Serve hot.
- Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe is ready to serve.