Masoor ki Daal Ingredients:
2 cups masoor daal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 1/2 onions, chopped
- 1 head garlic, separated, chopped
- 1 (1-inch piece) ginger root, chopped
- 2 jalapeno chilies, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
How to make Masoor ki Daal
- Rinse massor daal thoroughly,until water is clear.In pot bring 1 quart water to boil.Add massor daal.
- Cook half way,about 10 to 15 minutes,add 1/2 teaspoon garam masala,1/2 teaspoon turmeric and salt.As massor dhal cooks,uncovered,water will evaporate and mixture will thicken.
- Add more water to keep dal loose,like texture of thick cream.When dal is soft,turn off heat.Heat oil in wok.When oil is very hot,add onions and cook until tender and translucent but not browned.
- Add garlic, ginger and chiles.Continue to fry until onions are deep-yellow. Add remaining 1 teaspoon each garam masala and turmeric.Do not allow spices to burn. Keep stirring until mixture starts to stick. Add tomatoes and cilantro. Cook until tomato softens.Pour in pot of masoor daal and simmer to blend flavors.aste and add more salt if needed.