Traditional chai Recipe
Traditional chai Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups cold water
- 10 whole cloves or 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 3 cinnamon sticks or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 peppermint tea bag
- 1 orange pekoe tea bag
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground ginger or 1/2 inch chunk fresh ginger, depending on how spicy you want it
- 2 peppercorns or 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 -2 1/2 cups milk
How to make Traditional chai:
- In large saucepan combine first nine ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer ten minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain with fine sieve or through coffee filters.
- Return to pot and add honey until melted.
- Add milk and heat through, but do not boil.
- Serve in clear mugs with a pinch of cinnamon on top.
- Merry Christmas!
- You can also store the tea without the honey and milk in the fridge, then just reheat and add milk and honey to taste.
- This is a nice tea to serve with gingerbread or shortbread cookies at gatherings.
Tags Beverages Chai hot tea traditional