Valentine Linzer Cookies Ingredients
185 ml / 3/4 cups butter (1 1/2 sticks), room temperature
- 125 ml / 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 250 ml / 1 cup finely ground almonds
- 125 ml / 1/2 cup finely ground hazelnuts
- 500 ml / 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 185 g / 6 ounces strawberry preserve
- Powdered sugar for dusting
How to make Valentine Linzer Cookies
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg and vanilla.
- Mix in the ground nuts.
- Stir together dry ingredients in a bowl and mix with the wet mixture to form the dough. Roll into disks, wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a dusty flour board and cut the cookies in desired shape. Cut out the base cookie shapes. Cut out the centers of half the disks with a smaller cookie cutter shape. Re-roll scraps and repeat.
- Place them 5 cm / 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Make sure you freeze them for a few minutes before transferring, lest the cookies break apart.
- In a preheated oven at 350°F/175°C bake for 12 minutes or until edges turn lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Heat the preserve and spread the solid disks with a layer of the hot preserves. Make sure to steer clear of the edges since we don’t want the preserve oozing out.
- Place the top layer cookie over the bottom, pressing down lightly. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, then fill the holes with more preserves.
- Valentine Linzer Cookies is ready to serve.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooling time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes