Roasted Pear Trifle Ingredients
2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
for Roasted Pears & Trifle
- 8 firm, ripe Bosc pears, (about 3 1/4 pounds), peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, (optional)
- 3/4 cup apricot fruit spread, or preserves
- 3 3-ounce packages ladyfingers
- 4 tablespoons amaretto, divided
- 1 pint raspberries, rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups Vanilla Cream, (recipe follows) or “lite” frozen whipped topping, thawed (optional)
How to make Roasted Pear Trifle
To prepare custard:
- Whisk eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, salt and 1/2 cup milk in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Heat the remaining 3 cups milk in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat until steaming.
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return this mixture to the pan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the custard bubbles and thickens. (Use caution, as hot custard will sputter.)
- Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.
- Transfer the custard to a shallow glass dish.
- Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or overnight.
To roast pears:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Toss pears, 2 tablespoons sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl. Spread the pears on the prepared baking sheet. Roast the pears until tender and golden brown in spots, turning occasionally, 45 to 50 minutes.
- While the pears are roasting, toast almonds, if using, in a small baking pan until fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- To assemble trifle: Melt apricot preserves in a small saucepan over low heat. Arrange 14 to 15 ladyfingers in the bottom of a trifle bowl (8-inch diameter), trimming them if necessary to fit tightly. Drizzle 1 tablespoon amaretto over the ladyfingers and dot with 3 tablespoons of the preserves. Top with one-third of the roasted pears (about 1 1/3 cups) and a scant 1/2 cup raspberries. Spread 3/4 cup custard over. Repeat layering 2 more times with ladyfingers, amaretto, preserves, fruit and custard. Top with 13 to 15 ladyfingers (you may have leftovers); drizzle with remaining amaretto. Spread remaining custard over the top. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make Vanilla Cream, if using.
- Shortly before serving, spread Vanilla Cream (or whipped topping) on top of the trifle, if desired, and garnish with toasted almonds, if desired, and the remaining raspberries.
- Roasted Pear Trifle Recipe is ready to serve.
- refrigerate, without Vanilla Cream, for up to 2 days.
- Ladyfingers can be found in the in-store bakery of most supermarkets.
- Replace amaretto with 4 tablespoons orange juice mixed with 1/4 teaspoon almond extract.
yield: 20 servings (about 2/3 cup each)
Prep. Time: 1 1/2 hours
Total Time: 4 hours including chilling