- 1 cup bourbon
- 3/4 cup simple syrup (equal parts of water and sugar boiled until sugar melts)
- 6 large sprigs fresh mint (about 4-inches long), plus more for garnish
- 1 quart cream
- 8 egg yolks
How to make Mint Julep Ice Cream Recipe:
- In a saucepan, combine the bourbon, simple syrup, and mint. Over medium-low heat, simmer the liquid for about 10 minutes, to infuse the flavors. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- In another sauce pan, add the cream. Bring the liquid to a gentle boil. Whisk the egg yolks together. Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream into the egg mixture. Mix thoroughly. In a steady stream, slowly add the egg mixture to the hot cream mixture. Continue to cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Strain the bourbon mixture. Whisk the bourbon liquid into the cream mixture. Mix thoroughly. Add the bourbon/cream mixture to the electric ice cream mixture. Process according to manufacturer’s directions. To assemble, place a large scoop of the ice cream in the center of each serving dish. Garnish each with fresh mint.