Herman Coffee Cake Ingredients
1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup raisins or dates
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
How to make Herman Coffee Cake
- To Make Starter: Mix 2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 cups warm water, 1/4 ounce
yeast in a bowl, cover and let stand over night (cover should be loose).
Refrigerate and stir daily. On fifth day feed Herman one cup flour, 1 cup milk and
1/2 cup sugar; stir and refrigerate. Stir daily until 10th day. On 10th day remove 1
cup starter and feed as on fifth day.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease four 8 inch pans or
three 9 inch pans.
- Mix together 1 cup starter, white sugar, self rising flour, salt, 2 teaspoons
cinnamon, oil, eggs, raisins, 1 cup chopped nuts, honey (optional). Stir until
combined. Pour into prepared pans. Top with sugar-nut topping.
- Dot with 1/2 cup butter or margarine and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Remove cakes from oven and pour glaze over still-warm cakes.
- To Make Sugar-Nut Topping: Mix together 1 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
- To Make Glaze: Combine 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons melted margarine, 2 tablespoons milk. Use immediately to glaze cake.
Herman Coffee Cake is ready to serve.