Ginger Almond Biscotti Ingredients
3/4 cup whole almonds with skins
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Special equipment: an 11- by 4-inch loaf pan (see note, above)
How to make Ginger Almond Biscotti
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Butter loaf pan and line bottom with wax paper.
- In a shallow baking pan toast almonds in middle of oven until a shade darker, about 10 minutes. Cool nuts and very coarsely chop. Finely chop crystallized ginger. Into a bowl sift together flour, sugar, ground ginger, salt, and baking soda. In another bowl with an electric mixer beat together whole egg, egg white, and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture and beat until combined well. Stir in almonds and crystallized ginger.
- Press dough into loaf pan and bake in middle of oven until pale golden, about 45 minutes. Turn loaf out onto a rack and cool 10 minutes. On a cutting board with a serrated knife cut loaf crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Arrange biscotti on a baking sheet and bake in middle of oven until crisp, about 15 minutes. Cool biscotti on rack. Biscotti keep in an airtight container at cool room temperature 2 weeks.
- Ginger Almond Biscotti is ready to serve.