Danish Rice Pudding Ingredients:
1 (1/4 oz.) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup short-grain white rice, or arborio rice, uncooked
- 7 tablespoons granulated sugar
- a dash of salt
- 1 cup heavy cream, for whipping
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, chopped
- 1 whole almond
How to make Danish Rice Pudding
- Place 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over water. Let stand 3 minutes to soften gelatin. Warm mixture in microwave until gelatin dissolves, about 30 seconds.
- Meanwhile, place 2 cups of the milk and the rice in a medium saucepan. Stir over moderate heat until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in the dissolved gelatin, then the remaining 2 cups of milk, the dash of salt and the sugar.
- Transfer the rice mixture to a large bowl. Freeze until mixture is cold and thickens but does is not set, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.
- Whip the cream and vanilla until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the rice mixture. Fold in the 1/2 cup chopped almonds, and the one (1) whole almond. Place in a serving bowl and chill in rerigerator.
- When ready to serve, spoon Ris ala mande into individual dessert bowls, and if desired, sprinkle a little ground cinnamon or nutmeg and sliced or slivered almonds over the top of each individual bowl and serve with Homemade Bing Cherry Sauce or a spoonful of canned cherry pie filling. Refrigerate any left-over pudding.
Danish Rice Pudding is ready to serve.