Chocolate Torrone Ingredients:
1/2 lb honey
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons water, divided (2 Tablespoons each)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 lbs shelled hazelnuts, slightly toasted
- ostia wafers
How to make Chocolate Torrone
- Note:Ostia wafers are very thin sheet-like pieces of unleavened wheat bread.
- Ostia may be found in some Italian deli’s, Italian import stores, or candy making supply shops.
- Line two or three 6 x 8-inch loaf pans with wafer, and set aside.
- Place honey on top of a double boiler over boiling water.
- Stir constantly, until honey caramelizes (approx 45 min to 1 hr).
- In a small saucepan, combine 2 Tablespoons water and 1 cup sugar, let mixture boil slowly until caramelized.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add stiff egg whites to honey a little at a time, mixing well.
- Add caramelized sugar mixture, and mix well.
- Combine cocoa, 2 Tablespoons water and 1 Tablespoon sugar in a small saucepan, and cook until the mixture is creamy.
- Add the cocoa mixture and nuts to the egg white mixture, mixing well.
- Pour the torrone mixture into wafer lined pans (about 2 inches deep).
- Top mixture with another piece of wafer (cut to fit), lightly pressing it onto the surface, making sure there are no air bubbles under the wafer.
- Allow to cool.
- When cool, remove from pans (If using waxed paper under the wafer of the torrone, peel off the waxed paper before slicing).
- Cut each pan into 2 long rectangular pieces.
- Wrap each piece tightly in waxed paper for storage.
- To serve, cut each rectangular piece into 1/4-inch slices.
- Note: The longer torrone is stored, the harder/firmer it gets.
Chocolate Torrone is ready to serve.
Prep Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 2 hrs