Chocolate and Fruit Wed ding Cake Ingredients:
- 250g butter, chopped
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 200g dark chocolate, broken or chopped
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar
- 1 cup hot fresh coffee
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
How to Make the Chocolate Mud Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 160C (320F). Grease and line a deep 9-inch round tin.
- Mix the butter, oil, chocolate, sugar and hot coffee in a medium-sized saucepan. Stir over low heat until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- While the butter and chocolate are melting, sift the flours and cocoa into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Using a large whisk, pour the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs together thoroughly – the cake mixture is still hot, so any large strands of egg white may cook in the mixture! When the egg is well broken up, add to the mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Pour the thin batter into the cake tin and bake for two hours, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Leave in its tin until completely cold, then turn out. If freezing the cake, leave the baking paper on the bottom and sides of the cake and wrap in several layers of brown paper, foil and a plastic bag.