- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 full star of star anise
- 10 whole allspices
- 10 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 1/4 cup black tea leaves (NOT a 1/4 cup of brewed tea)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 egg yolks
How to make Chai Ice Cream Recipe:
- In a saucepan, stir together half of the cream (1 cup), all the milk, and the spices. Heat through until quite hot but not boiling. Lower the heat to keep the mixture warm, and let steep for about an hour.
- Put the pot back on the heat, and bring it back up to almost boiling. Stir in the black tea leaves, and remove from heat. Let it steep for another 10 minutes before straining out tea leaves and remaining other spices.
- Return to heat, and add the sugar. Stir to mix and dissolve.
- Meanwhile put ice and water into a large mixing bowl, then place the remaining cup of cream in a smaller bowl. Set the cream bowl into the ice water bath. This is a good step to do while the tea leaves are steeping, so the cream is chilled.
- In yet another small bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Add a small amount of the warm milk mixture to the eggs while stirring. You don’t want to cook the eggs, so you need to heat them slowly. Once the egg mixture is thoroughly warmed up, pour it all back into the saucepan.
- Back on low heat, warm up the custard until it starts to thicken. It should coat the back of a spoon, after about 10 minutes. Pour it quickly into the chilled cream in the ice bath, and stir to stop the cooking. Strain out any lumps. Once cooled, refrigerate for several hours. Use this in your ice cream maker, as per its instructions.