Butter Tarts Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
How to make Butter Tarts
- Fill a cup with ice and water. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Cut in the shortening to make pea-size pieces. Add the tablespoons of ice water from the cup until dough holds together. Form the dough into a ball. The dough is now complete. Put it into a plastic bag or wrap it up and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough between two sheets of waxed paper. Cut the shells using a large glass or your smallest pot. You should have about 12 shells when finished. Put these shells into a greased muffin or tart pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- Put walnuts and coconut on baking pan and roast for 5-10 minutes, until brown. Remove from oven and set temperature to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Fill the bottom of each tart shell with about 10 raisins each.
- Whisk together sugar, egg, butter, vanilla and hot water. Add coconut and walnuts. Pour mixture into tart shells, filling 2/3 full and no more.
- Bake in 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before attempting to remove. Makes 12 tarts.
Butter Tarts is ready to serve.