Apple Cake in a Jar Ingredients
2/3 cup shortening
- 2 2/3 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 cups grated apple
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
How to make Apple Cake in a Jar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease the insides of 8
straight-sided wide-mouth pint canning jars. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt,
nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and beat in well. Add flour
alternately with water and mix until smooth. Fold in apples, raisins and nuts.
- Fill jars 1/2 full of batter, being careful to keep the rims clean. Wipe off any batter
that gets on the rims. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sterilize the lids and rings in boiling water.
As soon as cake is done, remove from oven one at a time, wipe rims of jars and put on lid and ring. Jars will seal as cakes cool. Place the jars on the counter and
listen for them to “ping” as they seal. If you miss the “ping”, wait until they are
completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn’t move at all, it’s sealed.
- Jars should be eaten or kept in refrigerator for up to a week.
Apple Cake in a Jar is ready to serve.