Nargisi Koftay Curry Ingredients:
- Lean lamb, minced thrice 450 grams/1 lb
- Cardamom powder 2.5 grams/ ½ teaspoon
- Cashew nuts 30 grams/2 tbs
- Cooking oil 90 milliliter/6 tbs
- Coriander powder 10 grams/2 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves, chopped 2.5 grams/ ½ teaspoon
- Garlic paste 20 grams/4 teaspoon
- Ginger paste 15 grams/3 teaspoon
- Ginger juliennes 2.5 grams/ ½ teaspoon
- Hard boiled eggs 4
- Mace (javitri) powder a pinch
- Oil to deep fry
- Onions, chopped 120 grams/ ½ cup
- Poppy seeds (khus khus) paste 30 grams/2 tbs
- Red chili powder 10 grams/2 teaspoon
- Roasted gram daal, powdered 45 grams/3 tbs
- Salt to taste
- Yogurt 120 grams/ ½ cup
How to make Nargisi Koftay Curry
- Mix salt, gram daal powder, poppy seed paste, half the red chili powder and quarter of ginger paste with the mince. Peel and wash eggs. Divide the minced meat mixture into four. Wrap each portion evenly around an egg, first moistening your hands with a little water, to seal all sides. Refrigerate till firm.
- Deep fry over moderate heat. Cut each of the 4 pieces into halves. These will look like doe’s eyes–hence the term ‘nargisi’ which means doe-eyed. Heat the oil in a kadhai, brown half the onions and remove. Grind together the remaining onions, cashew nuts, poppy seed paste and the browned onion.
- Add rest of the ginger and garlic pastes to the left over oil. Cook till moisture evaporates. Add coriander powder, red chili powder and yogurt and cook till the liquid is reduced to half. Add the ground paste. Stir for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add 360 milliliter/ 1 ½ cups water. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes and strain into another container. Add cardamom and mace powders. Arrange eggs in a dish and pour gravy over the eggs.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
To Serve: Garnish with ginger juliennes and coriander leaves. Serve hot with pulao or any roti, naan or paratha.