Dal kofta curry Ingredients:
For the koftas:
- 2 medium zucchinis, grated
- 2 shallots, finely minced
- 2-3 small Thai green chilies, finely minced (to taste)
- ½ cup of cilantro leaves finely chopped
- ½ inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder (to taste)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup moong dal flour (or you can use chickpea flour/gram flour/besan)
- ½ cup rice flour
- oil for frying, canola or vegetable
For the curry:
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- salt & pepper, to taste
- juice of ½ lemon or lime
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup of cream (or ½ cup good quality yogurt)
- 2 tbsp of oil, canola or vegetable
- finely chopped cilantro leaves for garnish
How to make Dal kofta curry:
To make the Koftas:
- Sprinkle the grated zucchini with a little salt, mix well and allow to drain in a colander atop another larger bowl for at least 30 minutes. Using a tea towel, gently squeeze out any excess liquid. Reserve the drained liquid. Finely mince the grated zucchini and set aside until needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the moong dal flour with the rice flour and add the spices (turmeric, ground cumin powder, ground coriander powder, red chili powder, salt and pepper). Mix well and add the zucchini, ginger, green chilies, shallots and cilantro leaves. In small increments, add enough water to form a thick batter.
- In a large deep skillet or work on medium high heat, add enough oil to shallow fry. When hot, carefully add large tablespoonfuls of the batter. This may be done in batches but gently fry the koftas on all sides until they are golden brown. Drain well and set aside.
- At this point, they can be served as appetizers with your favorite chutneys or sauces. Also, once they have cooled, you can freeze any extra koftas in an airtight plastic freezer bag or container.
To make the Curry:
In a large deep skillet on medium high heat, add the oil and when hot add the onions. Let fry for a few minutes until just lightly browned and then add the garlic. Stir fry and add the spices (ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, garam masala, salt and pepper). Let the spices cook for a few minutes and then add the tomatoes and the tomato paste. Next, add the lemon/lime juice and the reserved zucchini liquid. There should be enough liquid (about 1.5 cups, add water if needed). Cover, reduce the heat and let simmer 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat, let cool slightly (10-15 minutes) and stir in the cream or yogurt. Carefully add the koftas and gently reheat on low. Let the koftas soak in the curry for 8-10 minutes before serving. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with fresh rotis and fragrant Basmati rice.